MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Details on Idaho's Proposed Bonus Point System

noharleyyet

June 22, 2010.

Idaho Fish and Game has published additional details on the bonus point system it is considering implemented in the near future.

Key details:

•Bonus points would give you additional chances in the draw, but would never guarantee you a tag.
•The system would be the Nevada-style squared points system, where the number of additional chances you get is equal to the number of your bonus points squared (so, if you have 5 bonus points, you get an extra 25 chances in the draw).
•The requirement to buy a hunting license ($154.75 for non-residents) would remain unchanged.
•Bonus points would cost $6.25 for residents and nonresidents.
•Participation in the bonus point system would be optional (although you'd be nuts not to participate).
•You would still only be able to apply for moose, sheep, or goat, but you'd be able to build points for the other two PLUS deer, elk, and antelope.
A write-up on the system is available at:
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/surveys/10PublicInput/BP/info.pdf

Idaho Fish and Game is also soliciting feedback via a survey, but you need to respond by June 30th:
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/surveys/10PublicInput/BP/

From a personal point of view, I'm a fan of the system. Those who get in on the ground floor will have a very good chance of getting some world-class tags.

The only change I would make would be to allocate half of the licenses in the bonus point draw, and half in a purely random draw in which points are not considered. Otherwise, 10 years from now, people (young hunters, for example) who are just entering the system will have very little chance to draw a tag

As an Idaho Resident I don't want to see the Bonus points implemented, however I believe it is coming and I hope they run with what you mentioned. I like your idea of setting aside a certain percentage of the tags as a random draw so my kids will have an equal chance to draw someday and not always be 100 names in the hat behind someone that got in on the ground floor.

They are dooming the system if they allow anyone to purchase points for every species. If they do that, you know it is nothing more than a cash grab.

They are dooming the system if they allow anyone to purchase points for every species. If they do that, you know it is nothing more than a cash grab.

Yup, for sure.

Will be interesting to see if they go that route. The temptation will probably be more than they can resist.

Again guys, the bonus point thing kind of came out of left field and was basically thrown at IDFG by a couple of legislators and IDFG commissioners, but very little if any came thoughts on point systems from IDFG employees. The entire thing is a mess at the moment with people crunching numbers and trying to see how this might work (but really not work).

Do you think they should only allow you to collect bonus points on one species?

I wish they wouldn't consider this on OIL hunts. Bonus points don't seem to help much if any on hunts that have less than 1 in 10 odds. I can see it working well for units that have 1 in 5 odds, but Idaho doesn't have a whole lot of those.

Do you think they should only allow you to collect bonus points on one species?

I wish they wouldn't consider this on OIL hunts. Bonus points don't seem to help much if any on hunts that have less than 1 in 10 odds. I can see it working well for units that have 1 in 5 odds, but Idaho doesn't have a whole lot of those.

If they do a point system, then yes I think one should only be able to gain (buy) a point if one applies for that particular species. Anything else defeats the purpose of the point system, unless of course the purpose is to increase the cash into IDGF and not increase odds for applicants IMO

unless of course the purpose is to increase the cash into IDGF and not increase odds for applicants ding ding ding..we have a winner

Don't they know they can rape non-residents for a lot more than $6 per point? Maybe they want to ease into this thing and then change the game in a few years, like Wyoming.

Don't they know they can rape non-residents for a lot more than $6 per point? Maybe they want to ease into this thing and then change the game in a few years, like Wyoming.

Yeah, Wyoming had a good plan for "easing" into it.

Start non-residents with buying points for single digits, then crank it up to $100 for sheep, all the way down to the low end of $30 for antelope. I will pay $30 for an antelope point, but I dropped out of the high dollars for sheep/moose.

Come to think of it, I would probably pay $100 for an antelope point, but don't tell Wyoming that. :eek:

They are going to get them with a $150.00 license too.

license $150
Application fee $14 per species
Preference point fee $6 per species
Applying for PPs in Idaho... Not Priceless...

Yeah, Wyoming had a good plan for "easing" into it.

Start non-residents with buying points for single digits, then crank it up to $100 for sheep, all the way down to the low end of $30 for antelope. I will pay $30 for an antelope point, but I dropped out of the high dollars for sheep/moose.

Come to think of it, I would probably pay $100 for an antelope point, but don't tell Wyoming that. :eek:

Amen to that. I'm actually sitting on Max points for Moose and I'm considering dropping out. Not to mention the 1,500+ for the tag once drawn.

5 year plan: Move to the remote country in AK and forget all about bonus points, SFW, latest sitka gear, 4 wheelers, etc etc etc :D dreams:rolleyes:

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MachineSub GN 4576225912G
Back