Describe your fishing boat; the features it has; and explain why you chose it

yooper

I live on the Great Lakes and have an endless variety of species of fish to go after. I am also fortunate to have a multitude of places to go. I can be fishing in Lake Superior or Huron within minutes of where I live, and Lake Michigan is less than 45 minutes away. Canada is also a very real option if one wants to put-up with the hassle of customs, etc.

The primary fish I choose to target are walleye and salmon. Occassionally I also fish for perch, whitefish, splake, herring, northern and muskie.

Because walleye and salmon almost always involves big-water fishing, I needed a 'Deep-V' style boat to handle rough seas.

I've always been a creative fellow and enjoy restoring old items, so it came to me to find an old boat and build it into exactly what I wanted. I found a 1974 Starcraft aluminum 18 1/2' open-bow boat and bought it with a trailer and old motor for a mere pittance.

It took me an entire year, but I completely stripped down the boat, gave it a fresh paint job, and began the tedious task of restoring it. I put a new transom, flooring, wiring, steering, carpeting, and other numerous miscellaneous items in, and this is how it turned out:
View

It is powered by a 100 H.P. Yamaha 4-stroke outboard and hits a top speed of 47 m.p.h. It is also equipped with: Minnkota 50 PD bow-mount electric trolling motor; 30 gallon livewell; VHF marine radio; AM/FM stereo cassette; in-dash compass; GPS; Eagle Optima fish-finder w/speed and temp; on-board battery charger; pedestal seats; Cannon downriggers; 25 gallon fuel tank; and a foul-weather top I made for it.

Here's a shot of the inside:
View

-
-
-
-
I'm very proud of this boat and I've used it for 2 seasons now. It is very seaworthy and stable to fish from, yet it is not too big for one man to put in and take out of the water by himself.

------------------
indian.gif

VEGETARIAN: Indian word meaning 'Bad Hunter'

[This message has been edited by yooper (edited 01-14-2001).]

Mines A 1980 ranger bass boat, No options the boat was a piece of crap when i bought it . had a 4 foot hole in the bootom covered with bondo, but it had a good motor.(at least I thought it did. It blew up last sept. So I built the boat to new condition. heres what I did:
split the boat in half and put in all new stringers and floor even the foam is new, fixed that big 4 foot hole redid all the strakes,made the fron deck longer. Then I gelcoated it top and bottom(still need to wet sand it).recarpeted it. getting the seats done next month. put all new gauges in it redid all the wiring. Put bigger fuel tanks in it. All this while waiting to get a new motor Took 8 months 15 gals of fiberglass(most sanded off)and I worked on it everyday for 3-6 hours and the weekends 10 hours aday. Finnaly got the motor and the first tourney it blew up. So I had to rebuild it. now its purring like a kitten.
the reason for the bigger tanks I hold 28 gals now befor it held 16 gals. is that here in az our lakes are huge some of them go10-15 miles one way. the ones on the colorado river go up to 250 miles one way (Lake powell).

I use this boat for bass fishing, duck hunting. The only reason I bout it cause it was(past tence)cheap. I didnt want a $40,000 payment. Dont get me wrong I would love to have a brand new bass boat But 40K I dont think so. The boat I have now runs about 70mph I'm still playing with props. I use it at least three times a week.I always take the kids out to.
Wife said "that was the best thing I ever wasted my money on"

Delw

Yooper my Dad and I went in half on a 1992 Nitro bass Boat 17' long.Bought it new,it came with 36# trolling motor,humming bird depth finder,am/fm stereo casset player and a Dual Console.The motor is a 115 Johnson.We wanted a boat we could bass fish as well as fish the intercoastal water ways in the flats and shrimp out of it,plus at the time the Nitro's were $6000 less than the Rangers and Skeeters.The boats has been used alot in Fresh and salt water,the only thing to brake was the tachometer(myfualt)and the sorry painted trailor lasted 5 years it now sports a custome built Galvanized trailor.It is an excellent boat.It still looks like new and they all will if taken care of properly.
Here is a pic taken in 95 down in Englewood Fl on vacation,the beached whale is me the boy is my son.

View

i dont have a pic right now, but i have a 17' cajun with a 75 hp mercury ,36lb minn cota trolling motor and hummingbird elec. as far as bass boats go this one is small, but thats the reason i bought it! it has the features of a big bass boat with the manuverablity of a small boat and with my truck i can launch just about anywhere, no i dont need a ramp! i pulled this boat to tennessee and have been using it there since i really dont need one here!

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

No pictures, and my boat ain't near as nice as y'alls. I got a 16 foot Jonboat with a 40 hp Mercury with a jet foot. It'll run about 25 mph in three inches of water with two guys and fishin' gear. I've had three guys, hunting gear, and three caribou in the thing (about double the listed capacity). The thing didn't plane very well with that much weight, and we planted it on a couple gravel bars, but we made it back.

Ak Roadkill sound like a nice boat to me.some of the(most) of the lakes I fish I can't get my big boat in but my 12' Jon boat slides right in.

Right now I am looking at a 16' Bass Tracker Aluminum Bass boat with a 25Hp Merc and will be tradeing in the Bigger boat for a 18' Key West Boat since I do alot of salt water fishing.Actually I would sign over the Bass boat to my dad so he can trade for the Key West and I will get the Bass tracker on my own.I don't have that much money
smile.gif

I can go for an "on the water gathering"
be kind of a pain in the but to haul the boats all over the usa though. could be fun

Delw

I own a 1997 Nitro 700 LX. Blue with gold decals, 120 Force,ss prop,2 livewells,Humminbird 100,dual console,runs about 57 or 58 mph. I was going to sell it but I think I will keep it.

Back