Denver Help

HighDesertSage

Well I just found out that I got a great job opportunity out in CO and me and my family will be relocating and leaving the land of fruits and nuts (CA). Anyways I was looking at housing online and I have no idea what towns I should be considering. Any of you local guys have any suggestions? I am looking to rent and I want something reasonably priced. I prefer 45 min or less from Denver. Also I really want a safe neighborhood because I have a 7 mo old and a pregnant wife. Access to the mountains and recreation is a huge plus. Suggestions?

45 minutes can be relative in that Big D traffic. Without knowing a lot about the Big D I'd stay away from anything that requires I-25 access. Yucko!

. . . I thought the way the talk on here was it should be an easy transition from CA to CO. . . ?? :D

Ok, a few questions to you then.

1) where in Denver will you be working (major cross street vicinity)

2) house, apartment, townhouse preference.

3) what does reasonably priced mean to you? Just a general range.

I'd say look up north near Brighton, Fort Lupton, Firestone. Rent is going to run you $800-$1500 depending on apartment or house. With interest rates what they are you might want to consider buying. PM me if you need more info, I've been in Brighton for a total of 33yrs.

Ok, a few questions to you then.

1) where in Denver will you be working (major cross street vicinity)

2) house, apartment, townhouse preference.

3) what does reasonably priced mean to you? Just a general range.

1) 19th and CA
2) House
3) Less than $1400

1) 19th and CA
2) House
3) Less than $1400

North or South, you're gonna face traffic. Despite Dinks advice, it's hard to avoid 25 and work in Denver. I used to have to drive downtown every day. Thankfully I made my own hours so I missed most of the traffic. If you start anytime after 7:30 it can get painful.

I live south in Castle Rock. Prices vary. Check Zillow.

I am with Summitthunting that the northern part of the metro area is great, lived on the Northern edge of Thornton for 17 years until we moved this spring. But, if I were starting over and going to be commuting to Denver the first thing I would look at was where the light rail travels to. North of Denver, light rail is a crappy promise that looks like it's not going to happen in this generation. Here is a light rail map. A lot of people up north use RTD (bus system) to commute to Denver also. Personally, I believe that RTD stands for Reason To Drive.

http://www.rtd-denver.com/LightRail_Map.shtml

Next thing since you will soon have 2 kids is I would look at what schools are good, see link. The good thing about colorado is that your kids do not have to go to the closest school to your house, they can enroll at any public school. Can't think of the exact phrase they use but it's just a paperwork thing. After grade school, neither of my boys went to the middle school or high school they should have been assigned to.

http://www.larryhotz.com/denver-relocation/denver-schools/best-schools/

So looking over those 2 things, Littleton has both light rail and some of the top performing elementary schools. Never lived there, but have had lots of friends have. Some nice areas and lots to do around there and easy access to the mountains with both C470 and 285 access close by. Then just around that area is Highland Ranch and Ken Caryl which are all pretty good too.

Just my thoughts....

A great friend and co-worker of mine has rental properties scattered throughout the area. I will check to see if he has any available.

Golden/Lakewood would be my suggestion for you. The new light-rail and 6th Ave will drop you right downtown. Good schools, safe neighborhoods, rent will be higher in golden as it is quite popular.
There is NO way I would live north of Denver and commute to downtown, that's the worst commute in the metro area...

Justdada - I agree completely. The traffic is really bad on 25 leaving Denver in evening and likewise in the morning. Its been 8 years since I have lived over there.

We have a 1956 old rental in Golden and it rents for $1350,, so things are more expensive. But you can be in downtown by vehicle in about 20-30 min most days. And Golden/Wheatridge are nice areas closer to mtns. Wheatridge and Lakewood will be less money in rent.

There are still some decent areas up North of and around 120th and N. Federal, Lowell and Pecos, but there is that commute. If you're not averse to driving thoroughfare streets, either of those streets will take you within range of downtown. Arvada and Wheatridge still hold a few pockets of nice neighborhoods. Parker area might be getting a bit saturated by now and a little passe'. Many years ago that was THE place to go, but I think they still have pretty good schools out there.
No matter where you move to, a snow brush for your car is an optional item, as most drivers don't use them. They like to keep their back window and tail lights covered so you don't know their intentions, and even if they do clean off their window they usually don't clean off the roof, so the powder just covers the window again as soon as they get moving; garage owners excepted. Justdada's and Jorgy's suggestions hold a lot of credence; I always liked that side of town. Good luck on your move.

I don't know anything about Denver. I just wanted to congratulate you on getting out of this state. :D

If you like hunting and fishing go to where you can do it in your backyard. Look west. No matter what I'm doing, I'm usually doing it in the mountains. The further I have to go to get there the worse it is. I'm sure you can find reasonable places to rent in Golden, it's at the very foot of the mountains. 45 minutes will get you well into the mountains like Coal Creek Canyon or the far side of Golden Gate Canyon.

With kids I'd live in town, but you have a couple years before you have to worry about all the going to pre school and all that. As you get closer to the mountains, prices go up, for a very good reason.

Everywhere is pretty safe outside of downtown Denver, it's all housing developments and sprawl.

Upthread someone mentioned Brighton, Ft Lupton, etc. Nicest folks you'll find close to Denver, the further N and E you go the more old style great plains things get. Wheat fields, pick ups, C+W, people smile at you. But the mountains are a tiny bump on the horizon.

The really nice folks are a little farther North in Cody, Wyoming. I'd recommend moving there but the commute to Denver would be pricey. You could always get a Prius! Your going to have a 1 1/2 hr drive to get away from the big crowds in the mountains, three hours you will have some solitude. I drive from Brighton to Montbello(you don't want to live there), the commute isn't bad, if you can adjust your schedule to miss rush hour. Get settled in and then take your wife to dinner at Shanahans, that will get you ALOT of kitchen passes!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back