Dentistry Help

TheTone

Hey guys I need some help with what the best way to pull the ivorys on a bull are. No, the bull isn't mine, but it is my dads so thats pretty cool anyways and I got to help get it out of the woods, thats the fun part anyways right :confused: I'm going to boil the skull and do a euro of it for him, so I'd like to pull the ivorys before I boil so they don't lose any color. Pics to come later once I can get my dad to send me the field pics, although I may go snap one of the head as a preview.

Use a stick about 1" - 1 1/2" in diamater or a piece of 2x2 about a foot or so long. Place and end against the tooth and hit it with a hammer. may have to hit it a couple of times, and just reach in and pull it out. Each tooth should take about 30 seconds to remove.

take your channel locks... grip the smaller teeth 1st, tongue/lip side and rock it in a tongue to cheek or back and forth motion.... as you get the smaller, easier teeth out, it will allow for some play on the larger teeth... push the tooth to the tongue side, and hold it for a few seconds, then rock it back to the cheek side and hold it for a few seconds... its like taking a nail out of wood... your losening it from the surrounding bone. As it gets some mobility start a figure eight motion.. be careful because if the roots are curved they will fracture down deep in the jaw bone... similar to what I do at the office...

Hoofsup, The ivories are what would normally be expected to be canine inscisors in a carnivor or an omnivor. Two per critter.

:cool:

danr55 et al... ha ha... had to use that... hey, Im not sure now exactly what you mean by "ivories"??? I figured you meant "teeth"... if you mean canines then there are 4, those are the fang teeth, and they are usually the longest teeth(in humans)- top right and left and bottom right and left. Elk are not carnivores, herbivores or vegetarians...PM me if you have any questions... good luck

Elkhunter, that worked great thanks. I had to do some minor oral surgery with a knife to free them a little but after that a couple wacks and they were free.

glad it worked out for you, what has always worked for me is to take your knife and cut as far as you can into the gum on each side of the toothe. grab a pair of channel locks, wrap the toothe with a rag and pry it back and fourth. they pop out fairly easily.

I cut down both sides into the gum as far as I can right next to the ivory being careful not to cut them, then take the tip of the knife and stick it down the the outside and inside of the gum as far as I can, then pry them out from the inside pushing to the out side... Make sure you use a fairly stout knife or you'll end up with a knife with no point. :rolleyes: an ax or hatchet also works well for prying them out...Takes about 30 seconds as well and can be done on the hill...

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back