Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Delta management DS203 hunt

mccrimmon

I was lucky enough to draw the ds203 sheep hunt in the delta management area. I nave never hunted that area, Is anyone who's walked in on this hunt willing to provide any information on there hunts. I.e drainages, mineral lick that they might know of etc.
It would be greatly appreciated.

Have you hunted sheep before? .

There is literally tons of information on this hunt on the internet, start at Alaska Outdoor Directory, if you haven't already. I'm not sure what else could be said that hasn't been said already. Start internet searching and you'll find everything you ever wanted to know. the ADFG website has a lot of general info. The harvest stats list drainages, date of kill, etc.

To be honest, I think you could pick just about any drainage in the unit and find a ram. There are sheep along the highway, there are sheep on the glaciers, there are sheep across Black Rapids. No area is really any better than the rest. There may be people no matter where you go, but the farther you go the less chance of have of seeing anyone, or sometimes hunting closer to the road is good. Really, just make a plan and hunt it, and don't give up.

Sheep hunting isn't hard, the challenge of a sheep hunt is staying motivated for a 7-10 days of misery and walking 50-70+ miles. Like any animal, once you key in on the type of terrain/habitat they use, have an idea of sheep habits, you can find them pretty easy.

My wife took this ram in the DCUA a few years back. 12yo x 38". We saw 5 legal rams on this hunt, one a bit bigger than this one. Sheep numbers are down across the DCUA and Tok. The late spring we had 2 years ago was brutal on all the sheep.

Good luck with your planning, and research! Hope you smoke a nice ram.

Attachments

• DSCN0366.JPG
    DSCN0366.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 923
ds203

Thats a Nice ram, I would be happy with something like that. This will be my first sheep hunt I was planing on doing one in the wrangle mts this year but got lucky and drew this tag.. I have a few buddies that run the mountaineer coarse at blk rapids. I getting 1:50 maps printed and going to set down with them. Im not sure if i want to go in off the Alcan yet or from the Rich yet. Walking shouldn't be an issue, I figure if i can do between 10 and 15 miles a day on the way in it should set me up pretty good. lol its a lot easier to say it than do it. I know!! I thought about following Joohnson river up towards the glacier with a small pack raft and use it to get the meat out.

if you don't mind me asking what was the location of the ram taken by your wife, How far were you from the road.

Yeah I heard because of the last couple of winter that we have had has been really hard on the population.

'm planning on being up there 2 days before season, and staying until i walk my butt out with one. Im in the military so getting the time off won't be an issue. might go crazy up there that long.

thanks for the input!! if you have anything more feel free to post it.. thanks again

Back