Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Deer rifles for young hunters

I have helped several neighborhood kids out during our youth hunt here in Michigan. I have have them use my 223 and 243 . The 223 is the favorite and the kids use it to great effect. It's killed everything that it's been shot at. The 243 has killed plenty of deer also during regular service. I have the utmost in confidence that my 243 or even my 223 will kill any deer that I would let younger hunters shoot at anyhow..

.308 has the most kick I believe in a bolt gun, but it can be had in the venerable soft-shooting Browning BAR. THREE-OH-EIGHT is the most likely to be in stock and can be had for under $1.00 a shot in standard 150-grain deer cartridges.

I'm so fond of .308 because my grandfather's lovely 1962 Husqvarna Model 3000 Crown Grade was chambered in that. Since I was a boy, 308 was always synonymous with definitive American deer cartridge.
Really, Tom? You think a kid can haul around a BAR? On occasion I have borrowed my brother's BAR to hunt deer in eastern Montana. Ugh! Besides mega heavy it's probably the most out of balance civilian gun I've ever laid my hands on. A morning carrying that thing in the ready position gave me a backache.

Dad started me with a 30-06 at age twelve. I did fine with it. Still killing stuff with that 9 lb Springfield. Back in those days parents didn't buy their kids designated wimp guns to outgrow. One and done.

6.5mm Creedmoor with a muzzle brake all day long.

I picked up a Bergara HMR Wilderness in 6.5CM for my son's cow elk hunt, and both of my boys (10 and 12, both under 90lbs sopping wet) were fighting over who got to take turns slinging rounds down range. It's a heavier rifle, so a bit to carry around in the backwoods, but with that muzzle brake there is almost zero recoil. I keep picking it up instead of my 300 Win Mag...

My next move is to pick up a lightweight chassis for it and make it my all-around backcountry rifle. Bonus that the adjustable stocks will fit my boys as they grow and quickly adapt between them and me.

With factory Hornady 143gr ELD-X it was a sub-MOA tack driver out of the box. My buddy's son took a bull elk at 450 yards with his Savage 6.5CM and the same ammo. One shot DRT. Should be good for deer too I guess!

The Savage Axis are cheap, but are usually shooters. Bergara's are a bit spendier, but they'll be handed down through generations...

My first was a winchester 30-30, my oldest son had a single shot H&R .223 and killed numerous deer with it. My youngest son used my trusty .308. Low recoil .243 is another rifle my sons have used and they both have one.

I want to purchase deer riles for my grandchildren!
Was thinking a first time hunter would be able to handle a .243, 6.5 creedmore, or .308. What do you guys think would be a good first rifle?
7mm-08

My oldest son started hunting last year and he killed both an antelope and elk with a Remington 25-06. He is only 85 lbs and loves shooting this rifle.

I read through a bunch of forums like this one a couple years ago… the decision I made was the 7mm-08. My daughter and I love it. It has taken a couple cow elk. If I had to do it again I’d buy the 308. With the ammo shortages in the last year you could always find shells for 308. They are the same shell just necked down for the 7mm. Recoil will be similar.

If typical shots within your region tend to be 150 yards and less, look no farther than a good 30-30 carbine set up with a 2-7X scope. My friend's son swears by his Glenfield 30-30!

TR

Austin 30-30.jpg

Lots of great suggestions here, and I don’t think you’re going to go wrong with any of them.

I’m going to throw out a out the box suggestion. Get them a 20 gauge. Easy to source ammo, lots of versatility. Heading out to the deer stand, grab some slugs. Want some birds, well you see where this is going…

Was thinking a first time hunter would be able to handle a .243, 6.5 creedmore, or .308. What do you guys think would be a good first rifle?
My first rifle was a .308, and is still my go-to.
My cousin started with a .243 and outdid me every season. 💥

7mm-08! It's hard to bea
I grew up shooting a 243. But I purchased both of my kids a 6.5. Go listen to the big game podcast he has a breakdown of the 243 vs 6.5. The date of the podcast December 17 2020.

.243 (probably mentioned a few times over though - add my valued endorsement. :)

I’m in the middle of putting new model 7 together for my 12 year old. PTG custom shop barreled action, picked up a used triggertech primary, just bedded a boyd’s laminate for it. Putting in the order today to finish the stripped ptg bolt. Putting a side bolt release on it. Haven’t decided on a scope, I have a vx-2 2x7-33 on the bench that will be perfect for our area and ranges and weighs next to nothing. May get him a VX3hd though, still pretty light with 1” tube. Dies are shipped, found brass, and will load light for now and give it more umph as he grows into it. (He’s already 5’11”, 145 though) He’s used his brothers .243 youth model, which is almost percect. Just wanted something anlittle different for him that he can use for coyote-deer forever. Probly end up around 950-100 depending on the scope, and I’m doing allthe work, except finishing the chamber and milling the side slot.

Back