Deer on lock down?

COEngineer

I never paid any attention to it, but I feel like I have heard of hunters, who aren't seeing normal activity from deer, say that the deer are on "lock down." I moved to an exurban neighborhood this year (2.5 acre lots) and see mule deer regularly. Starting Monday morning (4 days ago), there has been a buck (3x3, not huge) with a doe and fawn hanging out near the end of our driveway. We have seen them morning and evening and a few times in the middle of the day. I don't think they have left a 100 sq yd area in that time. I had no idea how tight they would hold to such a small area. They was one smaller buck (tiny fork-horn, yearling probably) that we watched get run off yesterday.

Last edited:
What species you talking? Certain areas and certain herd dynamics it's absolutely a thing with whitetails. Never heard anybody speculate about lockdown with mule deer.

What species you talking? Certain areas and certain herd dynamics it's absolutely a thing with whitetails. Never heard anybody speculate about lockdown with mule deer.
I edited my original post to clarify. These are definitely mule deer.

Happens with white tails all the time. I will see a doe and a buck bedded in the middle of a cut corn field with a clear view all around them for a day or two.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back