Deer - lets see em

Awesome buck I’m really bad with judging deer and guessing, how wide do you think he is?
Inside spread should be over 22 inches. If this guy poses looking away as in the hard horned pic I want to in my tree stand that is about 15 feet above the camera. Getting pics of him and actually getting him are two totally different things.

After getting my butt handed to me by elk this archery season, I decided to switch gears to mule deer. I set out with a goal of harvesting my first 4+ y/o deer. After just a couple of days into my hunt, I spotted this buck in a small Coulee, he was bedded and alone. After wrapping around to aquire a good wind, I snuck up behind him. Dead sunflowers lined the edge of this particular Coulee and it made for a tricky range acquisition and shot. I had to skyline myself a decent amount, he heard me and quartered his head slightly towards me. I froze for at least five minutes as he could now see my position. I figured I had to risk it and draw, he swiveled his head and didn't even stand. I sent an arrow 38 yards after letting my pins settle, it was a perfect pass through. The buck ran around the corner of the Coulee just 80 yards or so. As my friend walked up 2-3 minutes later, we noticed his antlers thrashing back around the corner. He appeared to be stumbling at first, thinking he was about to wobble his way down to his resting place, we watched. Then I caught a glimpse of a coyote tail! There was a coyote attacking him and the buck was trying to mule kick him off. I ran up and put another arrow through the deer and he dropped immediately. I had never seen or heard of a coyote attacking a deer following a shot, but that was a wild experience. I'm not very versed in aging deer, but it's easy to say this deer is at least 5 years old and I am beyond excited to harvest my first mature deer.
20231004_105640.jpg20231008_141430.jpg20231004_152001.jpg

After getting my butt handed to me by elk this archery season, I decided to switch gears to mule deer. I set out with a goal of harvesting my first 4+ y/o deer. After just a couple of days into my hunt, I spotted this buck in a small Coulee, he was bedded and alone. After wrapping around to aquire a good wind, I snuck up behind him. Dead sunflowers lined the edge of this particular Coulee and it made for a tricky range acquisition and shot. I had to skyline myself a decent amount, he heard me and quartered his head slightly towards me. I froze for at least five minutes as he could now see my position. I figured I had to risk it and draw, he swiveled his head and didn't even stand. I sent an arrow 38 yards after letting my pins settle, it was a perfect pass through. The buck ran around the corner of the Coulee just 80 yards or so. As my friend walked up 2-3 minutes later, we noticed his antlers thrashing back around the corner. He appeared to be stumbling at first, thinking he was about to wobble his way down to his resting place, we watched. Then I caught a glimpse of a coyote tail! There was a coyote attacking him and the buck was trying to mule kick him off. I ran up and put another arrow through the deer and he dropped immediately. I had never seen or heard of a coyote attacking a deer following a shot, but that was a wild experience. I'm not very versed in aging deer, but it's easy to say this deer is at least 5 years old and I am beyond excited to harvest my first mature deer.
View attachment 295972View attachment 295974View attachment 295973
Very cool buck. Congrats!

My 11-yr old just killed his first mule deer and Wyoming deer today. It's an early birthday present for him...he turns 12 tomorrow. He insisted on gutting it himself with no rubber gloves then spent the whole ride home hanging his hands out the window hoping the people he passed would notice his success🤣🤣. Love that boy!!
13583.jpeg

dang i need somethin to attach my phone to my athlon spotter20231020_075821.jpg

Attachments

• 20231020_080013.jpg
    20231020_080013.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231020_080010.jpg
    20231020_080010.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20231020_075901.jpg
    20231020_075901.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 36