Caribou Gear Tarp

Deer - lets see em

Congratulations, great buck! Story?
Thanks, had a great hunt with my son (10) who shot his first deer this year (a very fine doe). We saw 2 does and 2 fork bucks while sitting in a double stand and waiting for a mature buck. We grunt stopped one fork and discussed tactics.
He spotted the buck first and with a quick glance I said you need to shoot! Since the buck was walking steadily and didn’t stop when grunted at, my son said he couldn’t so I shot it.
This was ~200 yards from where I’d shot a nice buck 5 years ago while still hunting.
He’s hooked and I’m super proud of his progress. He helped with skinning and we finished grinding and processing the other night.

2017 buck:

Attachments

• 5042420E-50E3-4664-A175-EDDC958DDFE5.jpeg
    5042420E-50E3-4664-A175-EDDC958DDFE5.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 43
Where was he taken and what was the hunt story?
About an hour outside Columbia SC. Had to teach myself to hunt with the help of YouTube essentially. 42 sits over two seasons with nothing to show for it until this guy stepped out chasing a doe and I made my opportunity count. 125” is officially classified as a trophy by DNR for South Carolina - this guy is ~115” per the taxidermist. Mounted him to memorialize the sheer amount of effort that went into finally harvesting a mature buck.

Add another MN whitetail
What a stud! Congratulations
About an hour outside Columbia SC. Had to teach myself to hunt with the help of YouTube essentially. 42 sits over two seasons with nothing to show for it until this guy stepped out chasing a doe and I made my opportunity count. 125” is officially classified as a trophy by DNR for South Carolina - this guy is ~115” per the taxidermist. Mounted him to memorialize the sheer amount of effort that went into finally harvesting a mature buck.
I really appreciate this story, thanks for sharing. I can relate to the figure it out through trial and error and the determination element. Congratulations! I have spent years learning how to hunt mule deer and would love to learn white tail next. I have learned more about myself in my pursuit than about any animal, and I am guessing most hunters feel the same. Beautiful buck and great story!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back