Deer - lets see em

Very impressive deer. Looks like a FATAL "wound" by a bow hunter! (Sorry, had to throw in a dig to a certain disbeliever)

Wow! What’s the story on this one? Once I saw a buck like that where I hunt. Big letdown when I woke up. lol hi
Wow! What’s the story on this one? Once I saw a buck like that where I hunt. Big letdown when I woke up. Lol
I originally saw him in mid October and stalked in to 128 yards, this is when I ran out of cover, so I sat and waited, he was pushing a doe in pre rut action and eventually they closed the distance and were set to pass next to me at 48 yards. The doe was in the lead and she passed me, he was trailing behind. The doe walked past me and crossed through my wind line, she caught me drawing back as he entered into my shot window, she started to trot away and he immediately followed… tough day. I saw his tracks in the frost and snow and knew he was still around but had not saw him in 5 weeks. Yesterday I took the afternoon off of work and started on a high rock point that I like to glass from. I immediately spotted him moving around and waited for him to bed. He bedded in a tough area, but I was able to work in and had him bedded at 38 yards. His body was covered by brush and he was surrounded by 5 does. I waited for about 25 mins when a doe stood up and walked behind him, she cleared him and moved off to his right. I unclipped from my bow string and tried to range him again to make sure I was accurate (I felt shakey) and in that moment he stood up and trotted off after the doe, I was deflated and felt like I had missed my opportunity. He worked downwind of me and when he caught my scent, he gathered his does and left.
I have hunted that area for 15 years and know some of the spots they like to go to when they feel pressured. I waited an hour and then went to check those areas. I found him and his does about 1/4 of a mile away. I was at 200 yards when I spotted them and crawled into 110 yards, then I was out of cover so I just sat tight and waited, eventually he pushed a doe into range and I was able to put a shot on him and dropped him within 10 yards of the hit. I was amazed at how this hunt played out, I feel so fortunate for the opportunities that to experience these types of moments.

Last edited:
My dad (third from the right) shot this buck in the early ‘50s in “the mountains” of West Virginia. My grandfather appears to have been pretty proud of it.

View attachment 249868
I would have been too!!? Holy smokes! I wanna love and wow at the same time.

Your dad looks really upset if he’s 3rd from right!? 3rd from left looks like a fun guy to go to the saloon with… 😂

What’s the story why’s he look so down?

With above average temperatures here in the Midwest the weather finally turned cooler and I was able to fill my tag on a deer that I've had 9 encounters with this fall. Good luck to all those with a tag still in their pocket!
Your pic looks like mine this year. Big ass dip bulging… 😂🤣 nice buck congrats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back