deer dissapeard

jordan

Hey guys. WE have recently had shot gun season in iowa about a month ago....we have never had this before but its late muzzle loader season and the deer are coming out wayyyyyy late in the middle of the night and when they do come out when we can see them it is a little too dark to shoot. Usually we do really good and they come out early. Does anyone know why this is happening?

I know this is usually the topic of conjecture, debate and sometimes eye-rolling, but maybe it's the moon phase perhaps?

I've noticed the last 2 muzzleloader seasons here in MN when the moon has been out (and the sky clear), the deer sightings during the day (and dawn/dusk) plummets. Of course, that could just be because I'm in the field.

Emrah

It's the late season you will seeing nothing then one day you will it will be forty. Been like that here for as long as I remember, patience my friend.

Didn't notice a date of the hunt, but if it's after the rut, that could be your problem. Blacktails (and maybe other species) become very nocturnal after the rut.

I am thinking along the lines of cornfed, when its cold the deer should be feeding earlier but if they've have been pressured they wont.

sorry I forgot to list the dates. I have been hunting from Christmas day till now. The deer here have not been pressured much as we have only taken one. I saw like thirty deer on the first day and have only seen one since.

I'd agree with the moon phase theory. Check back and see what phase it was in when you saw the most deer, then plan accordingly. New moon is a great time for hunting during the mid-morning and middle of the day.

All valid points above.
Something else to think about Jordan. In late Oct at 7:00 PM it's just getting interesting, in late Dec or early Jan you've probably been back at the house a couple hours by 7:00.

On clear nights they will feed all night and bed during the day. I believe its because of the pressure from the shotgun seasons.

maybe the weather has a factor in it.
because it is darn cold in iowa this time of year.:eek:

Deer don't disappear.

They just change their habits. Have trail cameras revealed much about their movements?

Its up to the hunter to adapt and figure out what the deer are doing, how their routine has been altered and change your hunt plans accordingly to give you every chance of notching a tag.

Good luck.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back