Deer burgers?

Haha. Rokslide and Hunttalk members do not seem to be fond of each other. I came over here when the Ryan Busse/Seekoutside thread on here came out. I frequent both forums.

If it's specifically ground for burgers, I'll add
10-15% pork belly and label it as " BURGER MEAT"
If it's just regular grind for pasta sauce, chili, filler meat, etc, I might add 10% pork shoulder...it depends on the the animal harvested.

I never add any fat to mine or anything to mine. I do add seasoning in prior to grilling. I also make sure I don’t cook it past medium, medium rare is best. If grilling with charcoal I spritz the coals with water while cooking.

I never add fat to my ground venison for the freezer. I freeze 1-2 lb bags.

Thaw it out fully (no warm water, microwave, etc). I drain most of the blood / juice prior to forming into patties. Form them while the meat is cold (stick it into the fridge if it is too warm).

Season / salt the patties. Cook on the grill. As always, rare to medium rare.

Thanks guys definitely will try several of these. I’m a bit of a burger fanatic and would love to have a less greasy burger if possible but I’ll try anything

I haven't added anything to my grind for the last 40 years or so. I want to know that it is pure meat when I am cooking it. My recipe for burgers, either deer or elk is to add an egg, some breadcrumbs, seasoning and maybe some parmesan cheese. Pack into balls, about 5 per pound of meat and then flatten until about 3/4" thick, grill to medium rare. Tried the smash burgers on my Blackstone with the same mix, smashed the ball of meat on the hot oiled griddle instead of prior to putting them on the Traeger. Might have to change methods, they were pretty darn good off the Blackstone.

For cooking in spaghetti sauce or chili, I don't add anything. For burgers on the grill, I add 1/4 pound of beef fat to every pound of venison.

I am with a lot of people here. Some straight with no adding for tacos, spaghetti, chili etc. Then some i make with brisket trim, or 3 lb package of bacon ends and pieces, or 100% pork fat. All delicious.

grind with bacon ends to make the perfect venison bacon burger or just grind it all up and make brats & snack stixs and leave the burger to the beef.

I mix 10% beef suet in my ground and bump up to 20% for burgers. Works very well and makes for a tasty burger.

I don't have a problem with 100% deer falling apart if I'm careful. However, lately I keep a bag of frozen pork fat cut into 1/4" chunks in the freezer. I mix them into the meat right before I press it into burgers. Saw it on Meateater, and it is very good.

I used to add pork fat , egg and bread crumbs to patties but I switched to no additive's in my burgers either for a grill or not. I never had any issues with my burgers falling apart unless I had gotten water in the mix from quick thawing in a vase of water. Once in a while my bag of ground gets a pinhole in it water leaks in. I try and thaw in the frig if I have the time. I always season prior to making the patty. I’m also more gentle with the patties on the grill and let them cook more on one side before turn.

deer burgers are disgusting?

man, you guys must royally suck at cooking or let most of your deer meat rot before processing it.

save the eggs and breadcrumbs for meatloaf and meatballs. burgers are neither of those things and should taste like neither of those things.

deer shouldn't be any different from beef, or elk, when it comes to keeping a burger held together.

cut it with 20% of your preferred fat ball it up and shape it into a disc. if it's falling apart you did it too delicately or the meat was too wet still after thawing.
For venison burger intended for spaghetti, tacos, etc I don’t add anything. For burger intended for the grill in the form of a hamburger patty I always used to add pork fat but after trying beef fat this year I’ll be adding beef fat to burger from now on. I’ve also come to enjoy them smash burger style, with sautéed mushrooms and onions covered in cheese.

No kidding, don't add anything but fat to game meat for burgers, otherwise you're just making flat meatballs. Smashburgers have quickly become my kid's favorites, deer, elk, antelope, it doesn't matter. I add fat at 10-15% depending on the mood my wife is in, and always have sliced onions or mushrooms handy to sauté in the pan after doing the burgers.

I have added pork to give it a little fat and it turned out good, but prefer plain ground venison.
Have also tried beef fat and thought that really sucked, never again.

One pound ground venison, 1 cup shredded cheese, one packet of dry ranch dressing. Non-game eaters will love it. The cheese replaces fat and eggs, seasoning seems to enhance not mask the natural flavors.

Last edited:
My 2 cents for burgers:
Adding beef fat makes the burger taste a bit more like beef. Since I eat almost all game meat, I actually prefer the burger on my grill have some beef fat in it. Go to a butcher to get some beef fat is not expensive. I do it about 15-20% beef fat for my burgers. The bacon route others mention is delicious, but not a classic "beefy" burger, which I like.

Ground meat that I use for everything else I do differently, usually some pork fat or no fat at all. Depends what I'm cooking (I grind them up and label them accordingly, grab the right package for what I want to eat).

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back