Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Deep cycle battery for trolling motor?

BucksnDucks

Any battery experts out there? I need to replace my dedicated trolling motor battery for a Minnkota Terrova . My boat has a two battery set up with one 12V dedicated to the trolling motor and the other for starting and electronics. Most of the fishing I'm doing lately on the river utilizes the trolling motor for a large part of the day, as we float and sometimes need to hold in mild current. Boat is powered by outboard jet so no charging out on the water. I was planning on an Ultima Blue Top but the amp hours seem low (65) for this fairly expensive battery. Weight or size isn't a huge concern, just looking for a battery that will last a long day and has decent life span. Current battery is a sealed Duracell deep cycle which was ok , but after a year will only charge to about 50%.

I’ve had excellent luck with Optima gel batteries. Very pricey, but they’ve actually saved me money because I’ve had one last four years. 2.5-3 average, just remember to keep any deep cycle fully charged and they will last longer.

I’ve had excellent luck with Optima gel batteries. Very pricey, but they’ve actually saved me money because I’ve had one last four years. 2.5-3 average, just remember to keep any deep cycle fully charged and they will last longer.
(y) yes, Optima not Ultima. whew I need another cup of coffee on this Monday.

Back