Caribou Gear

decker fire unit 82/86 salida area

slim23

How is the decker fire going to affect the deer hunting in the units? With the northern 1/3 of the unit being completely closed and that being where i had focused most of my aerial scouting and planning this has really hurt my plans!

My kid was on that fire for a couple weeks and is now in North Carolina. His company still has a crew there. He told me yesterday, that they were busy trying to build more lines, as the fire exploded again and jumped the lines that they spent days putting in. They re-evacuated some areas, I believe. High winds and low RH has made that a tough go. It might be a tough unit to hunt this year, but next year could be golden! The areas outside the fire closure may have more-than-usual numbers of game, also.

Can’t really say much about how the fires affect deer hunting since I’ve only hunted early archery there but those units are long, just move further south. I was in a similar situation elk hunting a few years ago in those units and they closed off waaaaaay too far outside of a fire imo. We just moved just outside the closure area and did fine. In 82 you can go clean past the dunes and 86 runs almost to Gardner I believe. Just adapt and don’t let it get in your head, good places all through there. Good luck!

Back