Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Deboning Elk in the field

JoeSchmo

I use the Outdoor Edge Razor Lite to gut and skin my animals in the field… but is there a more efficient knife that you guys are using to debone an elk out in the middle of nowhere? The razor lite is obviously sharp, but a little short when trying to cut through the hinds of en elk. Thanks!

I use the Outdoor Edge Razor Lite to gut and skin my animals in the field… but is there a more efficient knife that you guys are using to debone an elk out in the middle of nowhere? The razor lite is obviously sharp, but a little short when trying to cut through the hinds of en elk. Thanks!

I have a Wyoming Knife but to tell you the truth, I think I just like my old Marine K-Bar for everything. I've also found that I like to leave bones in when packing. They provide some stability and less "dead" weight in a ball at the bottom of a pack. But that's just me and I've been told I'm an idiot who likes to do things the hard way. :D

I use the Outdoor Edge Razor Lite to gut and skin my animals in the field… but is there a more efficient knife that you guys are using to debone an elk out in the middle of nowhere? !

6" Victorix boning knife (stiff blade not flex)

I have a custom knife made of D-2 steel that is my go-to elk knife. The replaceable-blade knives are fine, but don't do it for me. They are light and dull quickly. Anything works for deer, but I like a fairly large, durable knife when doing an elk.

Buck Vanguard
Holds an edge and is tough! Bought mine in 1996, the price has doubled, I guess they must be good :) from hides to hip bones, it does work.

Always have the old Uncle Henry and Old Hickory boning knife with me.
I also only bone the quarters if I have too.
Hate the weight ,but I think it's better to let it hang on the bone for a few days.
Rigor tends to tighten the muscle. Just me,old school.

Never had an issue with the Razor Lite, either. Just always looking for an easier way to do things, if at all possible :)

Don't shoot one...then its real easy.:)

The best kind of knife to use for the task is a sharp one.

Followed by knowing how to use that sharp knife.

Wrong...

Bring someone along that knows what their doing and has all the "stuff", and then play dumb.

Wow...seldom do I see Buzz get trumped on an answer (intelligent dude) but I've got to tip my hat to Bambistew for his brilliance :)

+1 on the Havalon. Once you learn how to use it (no prying), 1 blade easily takes care of an elk for me.

I used the razor lite for the 1st time this past fall. While its a nice knife, those blades just dont stay sharp very long. It starts out good and sharp but just doesn't last.

I'll take my benchmade with s90v steel or my spyderco with VG10 over the razor.

So true!!

I learned how to sharpen a knife to a razor edge when young.
Worked at a fish company for 5 yrs and really learned how to sharpen.
Years of woodworking same,sharpen the tool blades.

Never get in the way of an eager youngster.

Watch videos,wear camo everyday and don't shoot one.......:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I use Havalon on deer but don't have experience with elk. For the guys that use traditional knives- what sharpening equipment do you use?

traditional knives- what sharpening equipment do you use?
I use a well worn forty-five year old Buck folding knife and my cherished Ruana drop point skinner, sharpened usually three times during field dressing an elk using a compact diamond mini sharpener followed by honing with a small compact sharpening steel. 'Requires less than a few minutes for each sharpening process.

Arkansas/Japanese stones at home to get it sharp,and compact diamondsharpener and ceramic hone for field.

Back