Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Dead Chickens

This one won't eat anymore chickens, but the main reason was the farmer is lambing at the moment, so its important to keep on top of these crafty killers!
So I went out with the night vision and .243 last night, job done, for now, back out tomorrow night, at least I don't mix with other people when doing this, well maybe the occasional young healthy friend!
Stay healthy and safe friends
Cheers
Richard
View attachment 131330

Used to be Fox here was a 12 month season, now it is the middle of Aug until the end of Feb. When we hunted them full time there was never any shortage of Fox. I expect we will have them coming out of our ears soon. I think the Greens are driving policy and not reality. Just about the time, the Roe Deer start dropping fawns is when the Fox have a den full of hungry kits and are hunting 24/7. I expect the Roe Deer population to decline in a few years. Too many Fox decimate the Hare, Pheasant, Duck and Roe Deer. The Greens see fuzzy Red Puppies I see my freezer getting harder to fill.

Raccoons will kill them all in a night and not hardly eat any. Seen this personally.
There are Racoons around I see them occasionally or their tracks, but they are fairly rare here in most places. We have a lot of Fox and I think Fox get most of the young Coons. Could be A Racoon though I didn't see any Coon prints after a rain.

Funny story about Racoons, I spread half a grain sack of hard bread rolls, the local Bakery gave me, near a thicket to draw the Boar out. I put the other half of the sack up in a shooting tower. I came back just before sunset and climbed the ladder up into the tower and came face to face with a Racoon. That sucker did about three quick laps around inside of the tower platform, crawled right up and over my head, then did a belly flop from around fifteen feet up. I still vividly remember Racoon crotch sliding up my face and over my head. :)

Used to be Fox here was a 12 month season, now it is the middle of Aug until the end of Feb. When we hunted them full time there was never any shortage of Fox. I expect we will have them coming out of our ears soon. I think the Greens are driving policy and not reality. Just about the time, the Roe Deer start dropping fawns is when the Fox have a den full of hungry kits and are hunting 24/7. I expect the Roe Deer population to decline in a few years. Too many Fox decimate the Hare, Pheasant, Duck and Roe Deer. The Greens see fuzzy Red Puppies I see my freezer getting harder to fill.
Your short season sucks!
As I have said before, kill a fox, 3 come to the funeral and 1 stays behind.
I respect the fox as a crafty hunter, very cunning, and a challenge at times.
As you say, the Roe start dropping their Kids soon and the fox cubs need feeding.
Cheers
Richard

I know a lot of others have said it, but it sounds typical of a racoon kill to me. The head removal bit is a good indication of that. If you have a trail cam it may be worth putting it by your suspected point of entry so you can be sure.

I had a similar problem a few several years back, it was raccoons.

I vote raccoons. Sixty five years ago bobcats were a problem, hunch those days are gone

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back