PEAX Equipment

Day hike gone bad

Too many griz for sure....................And the next one that attacks me, its gonna get the same dose that the first one did:mad:

I think its great that they have made the comeback they did and think they should be a part of the landscape, but not nearly in the numbers they are now at. they have NO fear of humans anymore and that needs to change.

Need a season asap!
Fin will know who to call when he wants to video the first montana griz hunt:):)LOL:D

OK now I'm wondering about the let her burn policies on fish. Once a landscape gets toasted do you then get all this silting that wipes out fisheries? Mayby the letting it burn policy toasts some grizz as well and as someone mentioned the white pine. I don't know if there is even a good answer when more a more factors get thrown in.
One thing I know, is that I feel a bit undergunned when it comes to grizz. Don't get me wrong I love a good western with a shoot out in the street but everyone involved knows the attack is comming. With grizz we don't have our coats pulled back away from our hog leg six shooters all the time and then out of know where it is on.

Forest Service and NPS fire policies are designed to do a few things:

From the Park website:
The Wildland Fire Program has two goals:

1. To suppress wildfires that are human-caused or that threaten people, property or resource values.

2. To ensure that naturally ignited wildland fires may burn freely as an ecosystem process.

Achievement of these goals involves maintaining fire readiness, reducing hazardous fuel loads, monitoring natural ignitions, and researching the effects of fire on Yellowstone's ecosystems.

The USFS's fire policy is similar in a couple of regards:

They try to let fires burn that will have value for wildlife habitat or in areas that need burning
When fires threaten private property or irreplaceable public resources, they fight it.

In fact, in the research that I've seen related to fires in the Bob, most wilderness fires are small in size, and once they reach a point where they look like they will blow up, efforts are made to contain and extinguish those fires.

Add on top of all of that shrinking budgets, declining number of people out in the field working and you have a better idea of what happens on the Forest or NPS concerning fire.

As for siltation of streams, after a fire there will be siltation for a few years until vegetation gets re-established, but that siltation can lead to better bug life, which means more trout, which means bigger food populations for grizz, and better fishing for me. It's the circle of life. Dynamic systems change, adapt, and overcome if all the pieces are together. Throw a variable like lake trout in the mix, and you crash the system.

So I would say that siltation might have some short term effects on specific age classes of YCT, but overall, the Laker problem is bigger.

These systems evolved under fire regimes much different than what has been employed for the last 80 - 100 years.

All over the news yesterday was the story of some sightseer that had to take refuge in a lake to get away from a griz that was getting too close, and the person was then "rescued" by a person in a kayak. There was home-grown video of the animal in question that appeared to me to look like a cinnamon phase black bear that was caught up in minding its own business. Must have been a slow news day.

Unfortunately, Yellowstone bears of any species can be more dangerous than any other place due to their familiarity with people.

Been too long since we had a good thread like this around here. Some serious tin foil hat material even, where are Buzz and Jose?

With all the jackasses that go out there like they are in a zoo and the animals are caged it's a miracle that there isn't one or two of these a week during the main tourist season. A bunch even went right over the railing and walked right up to Old Faithful to take a look down in the hole for God's sake!!! Lucky they got yanked out of there before she blew or they would have been toast!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mallardman1911
Back