Caribou Gear

Daunting...

Oak

Expert
Good grief, the sport of archery hunting isn't as simple as it used to be. I hope to get started in the next couple of months, but the selection of products available now is amazing! Arrows, rests, releases, bows, broadheads, etc, etc, etc. A person could spend a small fortune experimenting to find what works best for him. I plan to go to some of the local shops and shoot a lot of bows, but how to decide on the accessories?

If anyone cares to offer some general advice regarding what works and what doesn't, or any other helpful tips, I'd appreciate it. The last time I shot a bow was in late September of 1987, when I skewered a doe muley on the second to last day of the archery season. I was a happy 15 year old! :D

Oak; tell me about it. I decided to get back into archery this year and was overwhelmed. But, I kept things simple by going through each of the products I needed (bow, peep, rest, sight, quiver, arrows, release) until I got one I liked. Ended up getting last year's model (07) Reflex Rampage so that saved some cash (it was like $300-something) over going with a new, cutting-edge bow. My bow isn't all tricked out, but it works.

Attachments

• IMG_6151.JPG
    IMG_6151.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_6158.JPG
    IMG_6158.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 318
I'm sorta in the same boat, as I'd like to get back into flinging some arrows, with an upgraded setup. I plan on staying with rugged/simple accessories. Until I get used to shooting again, I don't want to be able to or have to tinker with a bunch of settings.

I've got two thoughts on accesories. One is buy things rugged and dependable and the other is buy the best stuff out there. To me it kind of makes sense to just buy top quality stuff from the start, eventually you'll want it anyways.

There are lots of good bows out there these days, you're absolutely right to visit a number of good pro shops and just shoot different ones. Buy what seems will work best for you. I think it also makes sense to pay attention to what the different pro shop guys agree on for gear, as well as contradict each other on.

Seems like archery equipment is outdated as soon as you buy it.

One thing to consider... evern the cheaper bows are an improment over the top of the line 7-10 years ago.

Hit up an archer shop or two and shoot as many as you can.

I think the best bang for you buck is Reflex or Diamond.

whats funny is people still kill elk and deer with recurves. I think some of the new bows are more like mini-rifles ;)

I have a PSE I probably bought 10 years ago. It's killed a moose, hawg, deer..... I think make sure it feels good in your hands and then you have something that worth using. :D

Elk Hunter, I see you have the new TT full containment rest, how do you like it ? Looks like the best of both worlds.

Hey A-con, I actually like the full containment rest a lot. It's not as clumsy as I thought it would be when I first saw it. For some, it's probably not an important feature to have containment. But, I like it and it works for me. :D

No matter your choices, you will shoot way better with todays bows.

Drop aways are a thing of beauty. String loops as well.

I had trouble with the Trophy Taker and fletch contact on my Ross, untill I smashed the bitch against the riser with a hammer. Bought a Copper John sight and had it for two weeks untill all the fibers broke off at once. Now I have the $25 True Glow and it is a solid little sight.

Took me a long time to switch to carbons. Once I did though and got her shooting good I was left standing there wondering why I waited so long.

Finally switched to Blazer Vanes this winter and I am really liking them. HAven't shot many broadheads yet though.

Keep it simple. Buy a forgiving bow (read high brace height), some good quality carbons, good sight, rest, and quiver, top it with some proven broadheads and shoot alot.

For me, I shood a 2001 model Darton, Easton Epic 340, NAP rest, TruGlo sight, peep, and Thunderhead 100's. I'd consider middle of the road for cost.

What is the advantages of a full containment rest??? Pros, cons?

I'm overwhelmed when it comes to archery and archery accessories too. I probably couldn't tell you my "setup". All I know is I have a Hoyt and it says "Vtec" on it and I have arrows (don't know if they are carbon) but they work good at killing antelope. My broadheads are Wac "ems. My sight doesn't say anything on it so I'm not sure what brand it is.

What is the advantages of a full containment rest??? Pros, cons?

I'm overwhelmed when it comes to archery and archery accessories too. I probably couldn't tell you my "setup". All I know is I have a Hoyt and it says "Vtec" on it and I have arrows (don't know if they are carbon) but they work good at killing antelope. My broadheads are Wac "ems. My sight doesn't say anything on it so I'm not sure what brand it is.

A con for the full containment is that it can be a pain in the ass to get arrows in/out. On the flip side, the containment means your arrow will stay in there and can't get bumped out if you hit a tree, limb, etc. in the woods.

Likewise, I keep it simple; I don't know what my arrow speed is and I'm definitely not an archery nut, but I can go out and fling some good shots. :D

I hunt in some pretty inhospitable places. I went to a Whisker Biscuit rest and a Hind Sight. As simple as it gets and almost bomb proof.

I'm with Moosie. I shot the same hoyt for the last 10 years and have killed 6 elk, 3 deer and more grouse than I can count. I switched to a Mathews Drenlin thinking I needed an upgrade and I missed the only 2 elk I called in last year. 1000 bucks for a bow is a waste of money. I could have killed both of those elk with 150 dollar Hoyt Raptor easily.

I'm with Moosie. I shot the same hoyt for the last 10 years and have killed 6 elk, 3 deer and more grouse than I can count. I switched to a Mathews Drenlin thinking I needed an upgrade and I missed the only 2 elk I called in last year. 1000 bucks for a bow is a waste of money. I could have killed both of those elk with 150 dollar Hoyt Raptor easily.

Although I am not a "gear will make you better" advocate...this sounds much more like user error than equipment failure.

im with smalls, sounds like operator error.

todays equipment is above any older equipment, yea people still use old bows but go ahead and try to find limbs wheels or cams for those bows. I still use a bear recurve when i hunt hogs and i love the old bow.

Bet you can find a used rig all set up with everything you need, ready to roll, for about half or one third price of new, and only a year or two old.
Lots of archery junkies trade up everytime something new comes out.

Back