Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Data: what to record??

1_pointer

When working up loads what data do you record? The following is what a sample of what I record now. What should I add or subtract from this?
Date: 6/23/02
Brass: Winchester
Powder: IMR 4064
Powder(gr): 54.5
Bullet: 125gr. Sierra Prohunter MOLY
Primer: Fed 215M
COL: 2.484
OAL: 2.72
# rounds 20
Notes/Comments:
Groups same as before moly!! About 1" for 3 @ 100.

How accurate of round counts do you keep? How important do you feel this is?

The info I keep is similar, but more detailed. I use free software "Point Blank". Seldom Ever and I modifed the target that comes with the software to include range notes. I also added a spotter target to keep track of shots when making sight adjustments. These along with the computer print out go into a three ring binder for reference.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-13-2003 20:27: Message edited by: Quarter Round ]</font>

Speaking of which,I'm going back to the range on Saturday or Sunday if you are interested.

1_p, if you get weather extremes up there and are pushing max loads I'd add temp info as well. It doesn't make a nickel's worth of difference here, but it supposedly does when one loads hot on hot days then shoots on cold ones.
biggrin.gif

Good idea dg, especially since this part of UT has the one of the highest average yearly temperture swings of any place on earth!! In Logan, UT it routinely hits 100+ in the summer and the winter before last it hit -68!!!

I'm attempting to mitigate the problem by going to powders that are relatively insensitive to temperature. The extreme powders from Hodgdon and RE-15 claim to be so. I've also heard that the Ramshot powders show very little variation in regards to temp.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-14-2003 10:01: Message edited by: 1_pointer ]</font>

The site http://www.huntingnut.com/ has the free download for the Point Blank software. It has a slot for the temperature and altitude which calculates the assumed change in trajectory.
I place a stick on label reminding that certain loads are not suitable for 70F+ shooting.
rolleyes.gif
Maybe some day I'll have just one gun and one load.
eek.gif
Scratch that thought.

One other piece of info I record is the lot number of the powder and the primer. That can provide invaluable info in the event of a strange event....allbeit a good event or a bad one. It is frequent that the performance difference from powder lot to powder lot may have an adverse effect or a beneficial effect on performance.

cool.gif

How about range data? Does anyone track anything besides velocity and group size? How about standard deviation? Anyone else consider that important?

cool.gif

I record group sizes in the 'notes' part of the data. Can't measure velocity now, but hope to in the future.

This is the info I record, plus the shooting bench notes and actual target.
Excel or a full fledge database will do an excellent job.

Cartridge Load Information
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Load Name: .270 WIN SR 90 gr A
Bullet Mfg: Sierra
Bullet Type: #1800 HP
Bullet Caliber: .277
Bullet Weight: 90
Ballistic Coeff: 0.207
Powder Mfg: IMR
Powder Type: 4064
Powder Weight: 54.000
Powder Lot Number: XYZ
Primer Mfg: CCI
Primer Size: 200 LR
Primer Type: LR
Primer Lot Number: XYZ
Case Mfg: REM
Case Length: 2.530
Case # Times Loaded: 2
Cartridge OAL: 3.190
Comparator OAL: 2.894
Av. Group size: 0.471
Av. Group Velocity: 3352
Cartridge Mfg Date: 5/29/02
Cartridge Lot Number: XYZ
Moly Coated: No
Crimped: No

Shot String Data
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
# 1) X Distance: 0.500 Y Distance: 0.262 Radius: 0.565 Velocity: 3370
# 2) X Distance: 0.613 Y Distance: 0.450 Radius: 0.760 Velocity: 3352
# 3) X Distance: 0.800 Y Distance: 0.625 Radius: 1.015 Velocity: 3347

Target Range Notes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Near max. load for MB270WIN. Primers slightly flat.

Max load is 55 gr. from the Speer #12 book.

Tested at public range.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-20-2003 18:13: Message edited by: Quarter Round ]</font>

Just so happens....we have a full blown database with almost exactly what Quarter Round has listed in his last post.
Brand New, Still in the Box, Ready for Shipment. I just need someone with Microsoft Access to beta test it before we bundle and ship. Any volunteers?
PM me with phone nr.

See Moosie. It don't take me long.
smile.gif

OK, I understand. I did send you a copy as an attachment to email bout 5-6 days ago. We'll get together when you get back from AK and work on logistics for this thing.

Send it again... I must have read the Email and Nuked it. I try to stay on top of Emails and Sometimes I don't read all the Atachments
eek.gif

I volunteered via e-mail once,brokfut,you must have missed it ?

Seldom,
I guess I did. I haven't been getting Moosies emails either for some reason. I'll PM you with an attachment. Please let me know what you think of our little project.
Jack

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back