Darn It

Brian in Montana

I was 37 yards from a nice 4x4 this morning, but the shot was iffy enough that I didn't take it. Would have had to shoot over a branch and between 2 trees. I know I did the ethical thing, but now I can't shut off that voice inside my head saying, "Could have made that shot... Gotta make the most of your opportunities..." Etc. Its the first morning. Surely there will be other opportunities.

How'd you guys do?

Your initial instinct is usually the correct one. Just another memory of another close call during archery season of one that got away! Better to have that memory than kicking yourself on an iffy shot and wounding one. Plus, who wants to be done this early!? Haha

Had a herd at 90 yards but couldn’t cut the distance before they slipped onto private.

Be happy that you made the 'right' decision. You had a learning experience and a good stalk and made memories. You might be able to find him again and get the shot. At least you were out hunting!!

understand your frustrations, but you did the right thing. Will be part of the story after you have success on this trip

I still think about a couple shots I passed up wondering if I would have put the arrow where it belonged, but I know I didn't wound one that I couldn't find.
Be happy with your opportunity and choice..

Totally understand. Good for you on following your instincts. Better than making a poor shot and losing an animal.

Good call! Don't pull a muscle kickin' yourself in the butt. Plenty of time left, and you'll ultimately be rewarded. And thanks, for your courage, by posting this. Hopefully, your example will be enlightening to many others who read this and will result in less "free" coyote fodder.

Man everything was perfect up to that final moment. The wind, the bull's head was behind a tree so he couldn't see me draw. The shot just wasn't clear enough. I'm not going to kick myself over, I know what I did was the right thing. If nothing else, it was a great way to start the season out. Those bulls are certainly pre-rut at this point; maybe next Saturday I'll be able to call him in. The smaller bull that was with him was raking a tree, but that was the only rutty-type behavior I saw all day. No bugling or anything.

Last edited:
I've regretted and second guessed bad shots alot more than not shooting.
Also, not shooting may get you another shot at the same animal that doesn't realize you were there. A bad shot, not so much.

Had a mule deer hunt in the 80's, Saw a nice 5 x 5 . Snook close, but the buck saw me. He went to opposite side of a large pinon. We circled that tree for 15 minutes. Could have shot thru the tree but it was dense. He finally sneaked off and lost me.

One of my best hunting memories. Did not think a deer could be that smart!

Better safe than sorry for not taking the questionable shot.
I got barked at on opening morning about 1/2 hr. before daylight, about 1/2 mile before where I planned on going.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back