Yeti GOBOX Collection

Danr - BLC-2 ???

Calif. Hunter

Since I know you like this powder for .223 and I just bought my first pound of it - how temperature sensitive is it? Since you live in AZ, I figure you'll know!

Thanks in advance.

BLC-2 can be very temp sensative.. I usually load it on the slow end of the scale and pump it up with a SRM primer. My favorite load is 26.5 grains with a CCI SRM primer and a 52 grain Hornady Match hollow point. Velocity is not tops.. only around 3200 pfs, but accuracy is spectacular... I shoot Win cases trimmed .010 back.

cool.gif

Thanks, Danr. Any suggestions on how much lower I should start out? My .223s handle max loads of H-335 just fine with 40 to 55 gr bullets, with SRM primers. I try not to let them cook in the sun, but I do shoot out by Barstow.

Back it down to about 24.o grains and work up in .2 grain increments. Be careful because it goes over pressure real fast. Watch for primers flattening and cratering.. or bullets going all of a sudden haywire..

Good luck..
cool.gif

Rufus, you are absolutely right.. Problem is there have only been two lots of BLC-2 made. One in about 1956 and another sometime in the 90's. There is a certain amount of deterioration that takes place over that kind of time. There can also be considerable difference in coating integrity as you get close to the bottom of the barrel.
Ball powders are easier to load and burn a little cooler than either flake or extruded powders. If you want similar burning characteristics and don't mind the extra hassle, H-335 gives about the same performance as BLC-2, but burns a bit warmer. I've found that the loads are almost interchangeable for the 223. H-335 is a bit less temperature sensitive and a bit more consistant.

cool.gif

Actually I've decided to pretty much give up on Hodgon powders. Accurate Arms is pretty much my powder of choice these days, Although thier powder varies some what also.

Rufus, I've never had any particular luck with AA powders. I have some loads for H-4831 and H-1000 that cannot be duplicated by any powders available. I used some H 450 before it became unavailable also. Still haven't found a suitable substitute. I have used some Thunderbird powders with excellent results and some old Norma powders that I've had for a while. Not sure what I'll do when they are gone. I guess the newer Vhitivouri powders are rough equivalents. Mostly though, I just make due with IMR powders...

cool.gif

The loss of h-450 is my major grump against Hodgen, I used to run through about a keg a year. IMR is great powder but pricy. Haven't found any thing that will work as well as 4064 in a swift.

Rufus, Get hold of Thunderbird Cartridge Company in Phoenix. They have several powders, both US and European made that are surplus. Burning equivalents are easy to find. Some powders that cannot be bought commercially are available thru TCCI. You might find a pleasant surprise if you ask about H-450....

cool.gif

I have done business with Thunderbird, NEVER AGAIN. Checked back through my records and the caddies of BLC-2 that I had trouble with were purchsed in 1993. Running 26.0 through AR's with a 55 gr bulk bullet, primers were blowing OUT of the cases.

Rufus.. I don't know what kind of problems you had with TCCI, but I've done business there alot and never had a problem. Of course, I'm there in person and not buying via phone or internet.. I don't know how that complicates things...

As to the powder, I can't explain the problems you had other than to refer back to the issues discussed here. I know that if I get too ambitious and start shooting too fact, the rifle heats up and the POA goes haywire. I have to take my time and not try to pop too many rounds too fast. Perhaps that was the problem with the AR... I never load bulk ammo that hot anyway.. I've always loaded bulk about 1 to 1 1/2 grains less than target/varmint ammo.. figuring that I will get to feeling Rambo'd at some point and start blowing up the hillside... I've also found the for ammo for the AR, H-335 being a little less sensitive to heat, usually works better...

cool.gif

You don't mean thier wc852 do you? Because I've been down that road and it shows a lot more pressure for the same velocity by my Oehler. The beauty of h-450 was that I could push a 130 gr Nosler partition to a clocked 3150 fps at just over 56,000 psi, with every other powder I've tried the pressure is running over 60,000 psi. I think that RE-22 is the best powder going for this application right now.

I use BLC-2 for a while, liked the way it threw. but got more consistant groups with Varget . Varget is not so temp sensitive. but trows like an SOB.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back