Danner pronghorn or under armour bozeman speed freak 2.0?

The Danner Pronghorns should serve you well, but as others have recommended, there are other much better brands out there besides UA that are worth looking into. Spend the money on good quality boots, your feet will thank you. I've come across others in the past that didn't and watched them suffer miserably and a few quit hunts early because of foot issues caused by the wrong footwear.

Guys who have higher quality than the danners....what about them would a dude notice? Admittedly, my first requirement is no blisters, and second is that they dont fall apart within a couple years. So, Im not that refined in my analysis. A low bar to clear and my Danners do clear it.

However, maybe Im missing out. What about your Shnees or Kenetreks do you prefer?

I love my Danners, and am always surprised by the Danner hate, HOWEVER, the Pronghorn is made in China, and whatever model I have is made in USA. You can see the quality difference, so I’m not surprised that the results from the Pronghorns are less than expected. I would be curious to know if everyone thinks Danner’s real boots that are made in USA are also vastly inferior to the often recommended brands.

So I would go with the Danners over the speed freaks.

I think that's what you asked right. 😁

I still run my Pronghorns in early season in Illinois, but have insulated Kenetreks and Irish Setter Elk Hunter’s for early season out west.
Both are superior to the Danner.

I used danner pronghorns for years with no complaints. A few years ago I got a pair of menial's and they are fine. I do a lot of walking up and down (there is no flat land where i go in montana) and I really can say both boots were good for me.
As mentioned , try the pair on as fit is different for different boots.
Love my Danners and Meindls. My feet hate the Kenetreks I have.

I am a big fan of the Danner desert boots as my feet area always hot it seems.

Guys who have higher quality than the danners....what about them would a dude notice? Admittedly, my first requirement is no blisters, and second is that they dont fall apart within a couple years. So, Im not that refined in my analysis. A low bar to clear and my Danners do clear it.

However, maybe Im missing out. What about your Shnees or Kenetreks do you prefer?

I'm a confessed Danner hater, so I'll chime in here.

The things I believe you will notice:

Greater lateral stability
Better traction
Better construction
More specific boot fit (this is good and bad)
Better foot support under heavier loads

Danners IMO are rather ubiquitous in fit, meaning they are designed to fit everyone to a certain degree, but not necessarily fit well. I've found the more expensive boots (particularly European designs) have a more specific foot fit. IF they fit, they fit very well. If they DON'T fit, they really don't fit at all. There are certain brands I won't even consider, even though they are very good boots.

The trekking and backpacking boots tend to have much more rugged construction and a stiffer insert/shank that will provide you with much more lateral stability, and better foot support under heavy load.

Is the money worth it? That's up to you. AS I've said before, no one really needs expensive boots until they are on a hunt where they really need them. Leukotape is my friend, but it's only a temporary fix. Good fitting boots that are built for the terrain conditions are worth their weight in gold.

If you're just hiking flat prairie, you might not need them. If you are in rugged terrain and pushing hard, your feet will thank you many times over.

No idea about the under armour boots but I used to run Danner Pronghorns all the time. The last couple pair have been a disappointment. They don't have the fit the used to and now bother my ankles. They aren't great when conditions are wet either. I finally bit the bullet and went with Kennetreks. Love them.
What he said. my first pair of Danners lasted for years but both boots in my second pair are coming apart after a couple years of use. I think I will upgrade my next pair.

What he said. my first pair of Danners lasted for years but both boots in my second pair are coming apart after a couple years of use. I think I will upgrade my next pair.

Any idea whether you’re comparing US Danners to Chinese Danners? I’m not sure when Danner started making part of their line in China, but their boots that are made in USA are not any cheaper than Kenetrek and Schnees and they are visibly higher quality than Pronghorns(made in China)

I liked my Danner's but they never kept my feet dry. If I had a place to plug in a boot drier over night it wasn't prob.
but wet boots suck and the danners were no different once the got wet.

Currently working my way through the rest of the patch, pricewise

If you want a pair of light fast boots go with UA. But they will not last. I am on my 3rd pair in 2 years. Love the Danners for cold weather and just bought some Crispis for this hunting season.

I have used Danners and if those two you mentioned are what is in your budget go with the Danners. I currently use Kennetrek and don't plan on switching.

Any idea whether you’re comparing US Danners to Chinese Danners? I’m not sure when Danner started making part of their line in China, but their boots that are made in USA are not any cheaper than Kenetrek and Schnees and they are visibly higher quality than Pronghorns(made in China)
Mine were made in Vietnam.

In the past, I have always liked Danner Pronghorns. Sadly though, my last pair of Pronghorns didn't last one year. Who knows, maybe it was just a fluke deal. But it kind of soured me on Danner.

Well I am a Amazon prime member. I ordered the pronghorn, high country and east ridge through their wardrobe program. (try before you buy) Well I liked how the high country fit and were lighter, but the lacing system will fall apart in a years time I presume. I like the upper lacing system on the prong horns better then the east ridge. But the east ridge have a better sole and insole. Undecided between the pronghorn and east ridge, I sent them back. I had a chance to try on the crispi that is a sheels exclusive but didn't like they didn't have a non insulated version. Well Moosejaw just had the east ridges on sale and I had a 20% off code, so I ordered a pair. Plus they are made in the USA.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back