Damned if you do, Damned if you don't

LOL.
I'd love to see someone else get the chance to do a better job managing the grazing rights that the USFS has squandered for decades. Go add up the difference in what the USFS gets for grazing versus what the fair market value for that grazing is and you will quickly see the problem. Lots of taxpayer money spent to subsidize a few ranchers.

It is CONGRESS who has squandered these lands for decades, not the agencies. The local BLM officer or USFS ranger does not set the fees that agencies charge/collect. It is Congress. With that fact, I'm with you, I would love to see someone else get the chance to do a better job by throwing the bastards out.

To your premise of the idea that a different level of government or private groups, thus with a different set of beneficiaries, should own the land, that is interesting. I have to ask the question below.

Assume you have inherited a portfolio of oil and gas leases, or maybe a portfolio of rental properties. Those assets are held in trust for you. Your trustee is cutting sweetheart deals with the lessees, to the point where your trust assets can hardly even pay to maintain themselves.

Using your logic of poor trustee management as grounds to give away trust assets, it seems in the example I provided you would give away your trust assets, rather than go through the headache of holding the trustee accountable to properly manage the trust assets held on your behalf as a beneficiary. I doubt if you were the beneficiary of a trust that held oil/gas or rental properties, that you would have your trustees give the trust assets to someone else because the trustee had his head someplace where the air isn't fresh.

So, would you give away your trust assets when your beneficiary is screwing you over for the betterment of his friends, or would you demand your trustee quit giving your trust cash flow streams to his pals and consider replacing him/her?

The former of those two options is exactly the logic you are advocating when you suggest lands should be taken from Federal ownership and transferred to state of private ownership, because the trustee, Congress, is screwing over the beneficiaries for the inurement of their political pals. Since Congress refuses to be a good trustee of assets, you seem to prefer giving the trust assets to some other small and well-healed group of beneficiaries and disinherit the current beneficiaries.

Back