MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Damaged barrel....how bad is this?

fwagner

While doing some high country rifle hunting in Unit 481 this past fall, I found myself on a steep rock scree slide and soon found myself sliding down the scree and gaining speed. I spread my arms out to slow myself down and let my rifle go in the process. I was able to stop but my rifle was doing cartwheels another 20 yards or so down the slope. It was at night and even if was during the day I don't walk with a round chambered so all things considered I got off easy. What do you guys think of the damage? Do you think it will effect accuracy that much? I did take it to the range the next morning to confirm that it was still accurate, which it was, the gun techs at Vortex did a hell of a job mounting my scope. Thanks for any feedback.

Attachments

• Sav Pic.jpeg
    Sav Pic.jpeg
    699 KB · Views: 116
That is a lot of damage to the crown, and I would bet that it has an effect. It would not cost much at all to have it re-crowned. It is possible to do it DIY with a drill, rounded bit, and abrasive, but anybody with a lathe could clean it up it better.

If that were my rifle, I'd probably pay a smith to chop a bit off and re-crown. I guess the proof will be in the pudding though, as long as there isn't metal sticking into the bore. I'd be surprised if that didn't at least mess up accuracy.

Of course, the first risk is dirt/debri inside the rifle barrel and turning it into a pipe bomb, but since you have already fired it, you either already cleaned it out or confirmed there was none. A second risk is damage to the trigger control group. Sounds like it worked afterward, but I would still want someone comfortable with trigger mechanics to make sure any safety system is not compromised. The nicks on the inside crown of the barrel will have an effect on accuracy. Not a big deal to have re-crowned by smith. They can check for any other damage while they have it apart.

When dealing with guns we seem to forget that these $1,000 items can take a life (including the user) and create millions of dollars of liability. When in doubt a few hundred dollars with a smith isn't that big a cost in the long run.

Of course, the first risk is dirt/debri inside the rifle barrel and turning it into a pipe bomb, but since you have already fired it, you either already cleaned it out or confirmed there was none. A second risk is damage to the trigger control group. Sounds like it worked afterward, but I would still want someone comfortable with trigger mechanics to make sure any safety system is not compromised. The nicks on the inside crown of the barrel will have an effect on accuracy. Not a big deal to have re-crowned by smith. They can check for any other damage while they have it apart.

When dealing with guns we seem to forget that these $1,000 items can take a life (including the user) and create millions of dollars of liability. When in doubt a few hundred dollars with a smith isn't that big a cost in the long run.
I did clean the barrel before I fired it again on the trip. I sent a email to Savage to see what they thought, and will take it to a gunsmith. I was surprised it was in one piece after it stopped. It was tumbling hard hitting the butt-barrel-butt-barrel all the way down. The scope didn't even have a scratch. I appreciate the suggestions!

The damage looks to by only cosmetic. You did say it was till accurate so why bother with taking it to a smith?
Just wanted to get some opinions before spending a bunch of money. After the fall I ran a bore snake through it to make sure it was clean and went to a public range (btw public ranges near Buena Vista are AMAZING!!!) and shot it at 100 yards and it was still on. That being said I changed my effective range from 400 to 200 yards for the rest of the trip just to be sure since I didn't have a proper set up to really confirm 400 yard shots.

If it shoots I'd probably not bother but a gunsmith could knock off a bit and recrown easily and you could have it threaded to add a break if that's something you wanted.

The completely other random option is to rebarrel since it's a Savage you can do that with basic tools, gages, and some time watching a few YouTube videos. Again, it's completely unnecessary and way off in left field but an option especially if you wanted something new for a cartridge.

Hell, mines looked worse. LOL
Nothing a good refinish with metal tools did not fix.
A good fall crossing a raging Sierra creek. My stock was toast it turns out tho. The dented Leupold still worked, it was on target still.

Having a smith recrown it is cheap, that's what I would do. I will be very surprised if the nicks on the inside of the crown don't affect your long-range accuracy.

That is a lot of damage to the crown, and I would bet that it has an effect. It would not cost much at all to have it re-crowned. It is possible to do it DIY with a drill, rounded bit, and abrasive, but anybody with a lathe could clean it up it better.
Screw with rounded brass head is what I've seen done

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back