PEAX Equipment

Dalton Hwy Caribou

bishoppa

Headed to do the Dalton Hwy Caribou hunt on Friday! Any last suggestions for those who have done it? How many tags should I buy?

Never hunted it, only observed from the road prior to flying farther out to hunt. I've heard many others complain about having their stalk messed up by those cruising the road looking for an easy opportunity. If I were to hunt it, I'd take a small inflatable raft or packraft and hunt the other side of the Sag River, you'll eliminate 95% of the competition.

Good luck,

Jeff

We are hunting archery only. We are taking a raft. We are not doing a fly out, but are willing to hike out.

There's a reason not many people hike in the 5 miles past the bow only zone....Walking in the tundra sucks. Be courteous to the truckers.

Last edited:
I would prob buy only one tag if there are multiple people going you are going to have lots of meat packing with more than that. And meat packing over the tundra is terrible. Like walking on a bed of basketballs with 80lbs on your back. I think you can buy up to 5 now. I bought two bou tags and only took one even though I could have easily filled both tags. If you are flying commercial you also have to consider over weight bags flying back. Our bou processed 125lbs of meat and 145lbs boned out.

Also welcome to HT and please post a story or your adventure after you make it back hang around.

We are renting a truck and driving up. There will be three of us in our party. Thanks for the advice any other advice from other members is welcome. Can't wait.

Thanks for the advice any other advice from other members is welcome. Can't wait.

Good luck on the hunt.

I'll give you some advice, don't come on here expecting a heap of info with your first couple of posts, no introduction and no previous history of writing hunt reports or willingness to help others.

Its a great sight, Randy puts in a lot of time and effort to keep it at a great level and plenty of good keen hunters contribute, thats what makes it an awesome place for hunters to share information and their adventures no matter where you are and what your hunting.

Look forward to the hunt report and safe travelling.

Me and a buddy did the Haul road hunting in 11 & 12.Both times we missed the mass migration but still saw a decent amount of Bou. As mentioned earlier, it's not uncommon to have your stalk messed up by another hunter. Most times its unintentional. The terrain looks easy to navigate but it's quite deceptive. Lot's of gullies and gulches to stalk from. Walking on the tundra is very laborious, it sinks in with each footstep robbing you of energy. I equate it to walking on the landing mats they use for pole vaulting or high jumping. Finding a "decent" place to camp can be a bear. On the 12 hunt we stayed at lake Galbreath ( spelling is probably wrong) and drove to our area of hunting. If the herds aren't moving through in large waves, it's a lot of spot and stalk. Buy your extra fuel in Fairbanks. Water can be gotten just north of Fairbanks on the Steese HWY. There is a water filling station on the left hand side of the road near the DOT weigh station. There is a truck stop restaurant in Coldfoot which is worth the stop. Food is good and its a great place to get out and stretch your legs. When you come down off of Attigun Pass be on the lookout for Bou. They could be anywhere. Best of luck, take lot's of pictures and enjoy yourself!

Chasing Rudolph's cousin? How is the beard these days? Bear camp suffered from your absense, but we struggled on. ;)

Yeah, caribou is on the menu.

The beard is gone. I had a bad cold last week and it holds way too much snot.

I'll be there next year, just way too much going on this year.

Yeah, caribou is on the menu.

The beard is gone. I had a bad cold last week and it holds way too much snot.

I'll be there next year, just way too much going on this year.

Good luck! I am excited to hear how it goes up there. This is on my bucket list as well. Archery or rifle? Flying?

Looking forward to the next campfire......

Good luck! I am excited to hear how it goes up there. This is on my bucket list as well. Archery or rifle? Flying?

Looking forward to the next campfire......

Flying into Fairbanks, driving about 10 hours north to Happy Valley, and float plane from there.

Rifle hunt, but I'll be photographing first and hunting second.

Walking on the tundra is very laborious, it sinks in with each footstep robbing you of energy. I equate it to walking on the landing mats they use for pole vaulting or high jumping.

I have often wondered it using some sort of altered snowshoe would help walk across tundra since it would increase the surface area and not allow you stay more "on top". I have been dreaming of a Bou hunt for a handful of years and need to schedule one sooner rather later.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back