Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

D13-D11

Slightball

I've always hunted private land, etc but am finally going to venture out into the dreaded D13/D11 territory. Ground scouting and map scouting is pretty easy but since this will be my first boots on the ground on opening day, anyone have advice? I am envisioning getting out there and finding 200 other people on every hill and shots going off everywhere. I know it attracts a lot of first time hunters and and hunters who like to park and walk 1 mile or less. Not looking for spots, just curious on other people's experiences?

Thanks

Welcome aboard, Mr. 4,385th guy who is "Not looking for spots". Good luck and keep posting. Stick around longer than most of the last 4,384 folks who joined, asked about a spot, and were never heard from again.

Welcome aboard, Mr. 4,385th guy who is "Not looking for spots". Good luck and keep posting. Stick around longer than most of the last 4,384 folks who joined, asked about a spot, and were never heard from again.
Thanks Dave, I really appreciate the welcome! You represent hunters well. If you re-read, I am asking if hunters in those zones have experienced high volume of hunters on public land on opening day since it is close to the LA basin. A simple, imo you have to go a good 5 to 10 miles in to get away from that would have been a type of answer I was looking for but since you are so friendly, could you tell me where a large trophy buck is?!?! Thanks!

Thanks Dave, I really appreciate the welcome! You represent hunters well. If you re-read, I am asking if hunters in those zones have experienced high volume of hunters on public land on opening day since it is close to the LA basin. A simple, imo you have to go a good 5 to 10 miles in to get away from that would have been a type of answer I was looking for but since you are so friendly, could you tell me where a large trophy buck is?!?! Thanks!

Can't speak to D13 but yes expect to see lots of hunters/rigs in D11 on opening weekend - especially near popular trail heads, forest service roads, campgrounds, etc. Personally, I would avoid that weekend all together and go during the week or later in the season if your schedule allows but I don't like dealing with other hunters.

Can't speak to D13 but yes expect to see lots of hunters/rigs in D11 on opening weekend - especially near popular trail heads, forest service roads, campgrounds, etc. Personally, I would avoid that weekend all together and go during the week or later in the season if your schedule allows but I don't like dealing with other hunters.
Thanks! Yep I have no problem going later weekends or week days for that matter. I am with you, I don't like being around a ton of other hunters, especially unsafe ones.

Nail on the head right there. Every unit I’ve hunted here in CA has been swamped opening weekend. Like Sdolan617 said, avoid that and go later. Go further then you would anticipate someone would go, then go a little further. Start scouting now.

While I may have come across as a bit harsh, if you stick around and/or do some reading about unit or tag questions, you will notice that when tags are issued many new folks sign up asking about whatever tag they drew. Almost without exception, they ALL mention "not looking for spots" in their posts. Hmm, just as you did. Sorry, but MANY on here sort of roll their eyes at those posts. You will find folks very helpful around here, but please be kind and join in and participate. You may find replies easier to get.

The welcome aboard and good luck in my post was meant just as it sounded. Welcome, and good luck!

While I may have come across as a bit harsh, if you stick around and/or do some reading about unit or tag questions, you will notice that when tags are issued many new folks sign up asking about whatever tag they drew. Almost without exception, they ALL mention "not looking for spots" in their posts. Hmm, just as you did. Sorry, but MANY on here sort of roll their eyes at those posts. You will find folks very helpful around here, but please be kind and join in and participate. You may find replies easier to get.

The welcome aboard and good luck in my post was meant just as it sounded. Welcome, and good luck!
Thanks, I appreciate it. I have read threads on here for years and have hunted my whole life. I know all about the fly by night hunters. I actually only signed up to specifically ask the question about crowds in that particular zone. I have scouted on the ground a lot the last year, and I know where the deer are ;)

Maybe I'll stick around and post some more to lose this "new member" tag. That well know looks nice! Good luck with any hunts this year!

Welcome to the board.

I'm new to big game hunting myself. I've always been an upland bird guy, so this will be my first outing for big game. I drew a D14 and got a D11 as my second. Like a couple others have stated, I hate going on opening day/weekends because that's when all the idiots seem to come out of the woodwork, many of whom likely have little firearm handling/safety experience. You can be sure that most of them will be hunting from the sides of trails and roads because that's where it's easy. Years ago when I was chuckar hunting out near Ridgecrest, as a buddy of mine and I were walking down a hill, a chuckar jumped out from in front of us. Some dumbass lower down the hill started shooting and we both got pelted with pellets. Luckily we were far enough away that no damage was done, but that guy got lucky we didn't take his shotgun and shove it up his you know where. That same weekend another member of our party wasn't so lucky. He caught some pellets in the face and had to go to the hospital. Luckily, he didn't lose an eye or suffer permanent damage. After that I told myself never again on a season opener.

That said, I've been researching those areas for months and will be going out there soon to scout. I don't plan on scouting near the spots that are easy to access as I don't plan on getting shot at by some idiot again, or worse. Also, after the first week, I expect that the hunting pressure will drive the deer away from those easy spots anyway. I plan to go early in the morning and be prepared to do some hiking.

Mako, I like you are a long time bird hunter venturing into big game. I started 3 years ago. All the talk about early scouting is good for getting a general lay of the land, but spend your time a few days before you hunt really scouting the area. That will give you a truer sense of where animals may be and what their behaviour is like at that specific point in time and weather. If you scout 3 months out, I will guarantee that they will not be there when the season is open. I was given this advice by someone on this board....(hint, he owns it).

I've always hunted private land, etc but am finally going to venture out into the dreaded D13/D11 territory. Ground scouting and map scouting is pretty easy but since this will be my first boots on the ground on opening day, anyone have advice? I am envisioning getting out there and finding 200 other people on every hill and shots going off everywhere. I know it attracts a lot of first time hunters and and hunters who like to park and walk 1 mile or less. Not looking for spots, just curious on other people's experiences?

Thanks
Don't let some here scare you off. Yes, we have all been new to an area. Like others have said, maybe don't go opening day and expect lots of hiking to get away from roads which can be tough in D13/11. Slow down and glass, glass, glass. They will not be in the open. Scour the edges of the nasty thick stuff. Find water and find a recent burn. You know the drill. Best of luck!

...but spend your time a few days before you hunt really scouting the area. That will give you a truer sense of where animals may be and what their behaviour is like at that specific point in time and weather. If you scout 3 months out, I will guarantee that they will not be there when the season is open. I was given this advice by someone on this board....(hint, he owns it).

That's awesome advice. Thank you so much!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back