D Day

I posted it somewhere else here, but there's a great documentary called "Hang Tough" centered on Dick Winters, CO of 506th Easy Company 101st Airborne.
It's around on several streaming platforms. Narrated by Damien Lewis, who played Winters in "Band of Brothers".

Was doing some paperwork years ago, and an old doctor came in. D-day was on the TV, as it was June 6, and he said, "Did I ever tell you I was at Normandy Beach?". About all he said was you just decided you were already dead, so might as well try to make it to the dunes. That's when he decided to be a doctor though.

So, we had 18-21 yo kids storming beaches under machine gun fire and now our kids are huddled in safe spaces because "words are violence".

We do need a great reset, but not the kind they are thinking.

Anyone know why it is called dday?
Date of invasion was unknown but the events leading up to the landing were known as were objectives starting with the per-Normandy landing events such as Airborne dropping. D-Day was the placeholder.

WW1 ended on the 11th second of the 11th minute of the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. Seemed easy to pass along the end to the guys fighting and artillery was discharged up to the 11th second.

If any of you ever get the chance to read the book D-Day through German eyes, do it. It’s very interesting and if the German at the end of Book 2 was even remotely telling the truth it could have been bad for the Allies.

I happened to be there for the 50th anniversary on business and have some really nice anniversary mementos that recall the invasion. I took time to stand on the beaches looking up at the concrete emplacements and it just sends shivers up your spine. How in hell anyone survived is incredible. Lots of remnants of caissons and ships still there. I actually sat on the same bench portrayed in Saving Private Ryan in the American Cemetery looking out at the rows and rows of white crosses. There were older gents there clearly vets, we all cried, you can't help it. The emotion is overpowering.

Every American needs to experience the raw emotion standing on the beaches and sitting in that bench. I have no doubt there is a reset in each person doing so.

My dad was rear gunner/mechanic on Dauntless Dive Bomber in Pacific in the Ace of Spades squadron. He was in Midway and Marshall Island campaigns and made it through. The survival rate on them not great. He never really talked about it.

We are here because of that generation, PERIOD!

09AF4BA6-6E5C-46DD-890D-C9230A6527C2.jpeg

In 1944, the newscasters referred to it as "The Invasion" and would include the words Europe or Marians. Both campaigns were started on the same day. "overload" in Europe involved men from 4 countries, although the French were by far the smallest group. "Forger" in the Pacific theatre was carried out with only Americans and the success of that invasion allowed our new B-52's to reach Japan, and they did.

As soon as I got home from school and did my chores, I would listen to the radio with my grandparents while preparing supper. My father joined after Pearl was bombed and my mother went to San Diego to help build ships.

Like Ken, Hank and others my father never spoke of the war and my mother very little. She did share with me that every girl in the shipyard would experience three emotions when a telegram showed up. Anxiety, relief, and sorrow. Everyone was anxious while waiting to see who it was for,, those who the telegram was not for, were relived, but shared their sorrow with the woman who received the telegram. She said most of the women stayed after receiving their telegram to help build ships.

My father came home, but two uncles and one aunt did not.

Freedom is not free and I thank them all ! Including those here on the forum who have served since World War Two. I apologize that I dont remember everyones name, but I do remember John, Hank, and Don, but I know there are others, quite a few others and I THANK YOU ALL !

My father was a US Navy vet of WW2 and he always mentioned how important D-DAY was. He had several brothers US Army and one lost his life at Monte Cassino in 43. I still have their medals and my uncles M1 qualification book from 42. I always shoot my M1 around June 6 to honor those from WW2. I can only imagine how that day must have been for so many soldiers.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back