Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Cycle travel hunt - TIPS Please!

Sytes

Most know I am on a path to recovery from an atv accident. With that my brother promised he would come up from Colorado if I was cleared to walk by hunting season. He is not a hunter - yet...

I am walking now, with some balance issues to some degree. I am far from recovered - though I have also ridden my mtn bike in therapy 4 miles (flat dirt trail - so much more endurance to build).

My goal, weld an aluminum flat bed type trailer with cycle tires and maybe add a brake line.
My "ultralight tent" is coming along well - will show pics when time permits. I purchased a titanium rectangular camp stove, 3 lbs INCLUDING 9' stove pipe!

Plan is to hit a closed road, cycle in (building endurance every day - GREAT therapists!) with light trailer towing comforts to a minimum (though including 2 chairs and cots)
plan to ride in 5-8 miles to escape the average distance road walkers... There are a few small / medium parks w/in a 3/4 - 2 mile range from intended camp area and going to push myself to these spots during time there..My energy level I don't expect to be too great though I will make it.

Question and request for tips... Any unusual items not thought of normally to bring when biking in? Sure spare tube(s) Though anything worth bringing for such an event? I know this will be a challenge though for those whom have gotten to know me, I thrive on challenges - this incident has certainly taught me to never give up so I am game...

Cycle additions, light tent situations, anything really. I really don't want to bungle this up. whether anything drops or not this will be a hunt that will stay with me forever. Give me your thouights, please.

Take for instance, I was thinking of a walking stick that would also act as a rifle rest.
I'm checking w/ USFS to see if it is a road I can have opened to retreive game - so that is on the list.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
My thoughts are that you are the man Sytes. Most healthy adults wont attempt what you are determined to do. I find your positive attitude and determination a breath of fresh air on hunttalk, particularly with all the a-holeism that's going on around here. I really like my GoLite Shangrila5, but it sounds like you've got the tent figured out. Good luck and keep us posted.

Man you are hardcore and Inspiration for sure. I've never done such a thing but I do know I blew out four tires on the only mountain bike I rode here in Colorado and that wasn't cool at all

Mud, you mean tires... as in the tread portion? Good to bring a spare or two of those? Due to the tire getting torn by a sharp rock type deal? I'll do that as well as tubes.

Any other tips guys? There have to be some cycling hunters out there! Not seeking locations ~ just experiences learned to save a few unnecessary headaches. Thanks.

This seems to maximize my advantage as much as possible for my condition and the trailer build is a just in case the road can not be opened for game retrieval .... and mostly i plan to slave my bro. Good thing is we can stop often as well. If this endurance doesn't kick into high gear, we may just take my main wall tent along a river, do some fishin... though easy access parks/meadows in NW montana are far and few without orange arguments over who shot first, who hit it... blah. That is not my scene.

Thanks guys for the comments ~ they are greatly appreciated!. To be frank, I may be over reaching as the most done thus far was close to 4miles on a flat dirt trail. Wife and I started riding about 3.5miles along a paved trail 2x's a week and i am building endurance on a few machines such as the eliptical(?).

The road is reasonable fairly mellow ups and downs. I'm going to have a backup plan, though I'm a hard headed ass so I think I can get there. I'll do a test a week prior. It's all rehab the way i look at it.

This is what I use to inflate my tires when I get a flat and have to change the tube.

Planet Bike AirShip Inflator CO2

Sytes- I think that what you are attempting to accomplish is awesome, I wish I had some information to share with you. I have never done a cycle hunt and, quite frankly, I have never spent much time on a mountain bike. Just wanted to wish you good luck!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back