CWD Regs

EYJONAS!

Curious to hear peoples thoughts on this as it covers a major portion of the state where NR and R hunt deer as well as elk. Meat will have to be boned or quatered, no spinal cord shall be removed, only skull plates will be able to be transported vs whole heads. Etc. Does this change a lot of things for areas as far as pressure goes with some of these limiting factors?

I am sure for the most part everyone reads the regs but thought I would throw it up here to make some aware and hear peoples thoughts.

Attachments

• 01_2019 DEA_CWD.pdf
    273.3 KB · Views: 52
Makes it more difficult to do get a Euro mount done... but other than that I can't see what it would change anything.

Makes it more difficult to do get a Euro mount done... but other than that I can't see what it would change anything.

There's a lot of whole critters hauled out of those areas mine included sometimes.

I guess I'm confused then as to your question. Will it reduce the number of hunters... I bet it will have 0 net effect. It will slightly change how some hunters process their game.

Is your implication that if you can't bring the animal home whole in that back of your truck that you won't go... or someone wouldn't go?

I guess I'm confused then as to your question. Will it reduce the number of hunters... I bet it will have 0 net effect. It will slightly change how some hunters process their game.

Is your implication that if you can't bring the animal home whole in that back of your truck that you won't go... or someone wouldn't go?

No I am not implying anything like that. I myself don't think it will have much effect on any numbers, just a topic of discussion I thought I would put up ( it's rainy and shitty out so I'm bored), maybe make some folks aware that maybe weren't,and get some feedback. I didn't put it up to shy anyone away from their plans by any means. I am with you, bout the only thing it messes up for myself is a euro mount. Thanks

Curious to hear peoples thoughts on this as it covers a major portion of the state where NR and R hunt deer as well as elk. Meat will have to be boned or quatered, no spinal cord shall be removed, only skull plates will be able to be transported vs whole heads. Etc. Does this change a lot of things for areas as far as pressure goes with some of these limiting factors?

I am sure for the most part everyone reads the regs but thought I would throw it up here to make some aware and hear peoples thoughts.

There are a high number of folks that shoot deer each and every year that are not hunters as are found here on HT. These people shoot, tag and struggle to gut their deer. Then they will drag that deer for miles or possibly use a game cart to get that critter back to the truck. Once loaded, they drive back home, then straight to the game processor Monday morning. My wife has two different friends that are exactly this way. These folks usually count on Thanksgiving holiday to fill most if not all of their deer tags in SE MT. Last year all the meat processors were full and they asked my wife if we could help them cut up their deer. I reluctantly agreed only to find out that they had just piled all their deer on a flatbed trailer parked next to their garage. You guessed it, not skinned and frozen solid!
My wife and I also ran across a group of folks from Vermont last fall is SE MT. This group had 20+ deer just laying on the ground, again, whole and not skinned! The Game Warden said that they stacked all the deer onto their ATV trailer then proceeded to a Billings meat processor.
So yes, I believe that this type of folks will start hunting closer to home if more work is needed than just pulling the trigger and struggling through a gut job.

Most folks are ignorant.
There is a new expanding distribution map on USGS about CWD.

Last edited:
What I find to be missing from CWD regs is the fact that hunters can leave the skull and spine in the field. We are told that the brain and spinal tissue hold the prions that cause the disease and yet we leave those portions out on the landscape to further contaminate the area. The prions, we are told, can survive cold temperatures and fire and remain infectious on the landscape for an unknown amount of time.

With this knowledge I don't understand why hunters aren't required to haul the head and spine out of the field and dispose of in a dumpster within the CWD zone.

My wife and I also ran across a group of folks from Vermont last fall is SE MT. This group had 20+ deer just laying on the ground, again, whole and not skinned! The Game Warden said that they stacked all the deer onto their ATV trailer then proceeded to a Billings meat processor.

Sounds about right... always blew my mind when you would see a whole moose on a trailer drive by in VT. Your descriptions of Vermonters is what I have experienced as well lol

Side note I was helping a buddy plan a deer hunt in New Hampshire last year... apparently there are no salvage requirements on the books... literally everyone get's their deer our whole so they have never had to bother with it. I called 2 different game warden's about the legality of field butchering so that he could backpack hunt and both of them were pretty shocked by the idea. That's not to say people back east don't do it... just that it's very rare.

Wow that's unreal, pretty crazy how things like that can differ so much from state to state. I always thought those easterners had a loose wire. Haha Probably explains a lot right there.

I wonder what the penalty for non compliance will be? You should setup a check stand Radar and boiling station charge 25 a person for deer 50 to elk for boiling? Haha

I wonder what the penalty for non compliance will be? You should setup a check stand Radar and boiling station charge 25 a person for deer 50 to elk for boiling? Haha

Seriously... get a stock tank, put a lid on it and get an industrial sous vide machine. You could do 50-60 skulls at once.

Seriously... get a stock tank, put a lid on it and get an industrial sous vide machine. You could do 50-60 skulls at once.
I know...... hell I might take a week off in November and just do that. "Skulls by Jonas" have a little Indian taco stand and serve a few cervezas..... million dollar idea I think.

Well i guess i am one you can count. I have hunted Montana for deer for some time, but not this year I have moved to a different state. I have not legally been able to bring home anything from Montana but meat to my home state for I think three years now.
For me CWD was kinda the last straw that broke the camels back. The long drive, increases in tag fees, and a few unpleasant hunts, (hunting districts overrun with elk hunters) have currently dimmed my enthusiasm for hunting deer the state. Montana is a wonderful and beautiful place I love to visit and hunt, but I thought I would share my opinion, and I too wonder how many other NR hunters have made the same choice.
An interesting side note: I asked a co worker who hunts Montana every year if these new CWD regulations were going to change their hunting plans, he looked at me and said nothing has changed, they toss all there deer (heads included) in a enclosed cargo trailer and head home. Pretty misinformed and uncaring hunters, sad to say the least.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back