Logistics of harvesting in New Mexico CWD Units

I plan to keep camp on my back every day in the wilderness this year, probably stoveless, but I don’t have to euro it till I leave the state(or unit if you’re in a CWD unit in NM). If the Lord wills it, I’ll have an elk head when I return to the truck, and that’s when the car camping and skull boiling will take place. There’s no BLM in mule deer unit, so I’ll drive it to some state land with no deer on it and boil it on the tail gate.

Sous vide might be an option if you’re stuck a hotel room.

Love to see some pics of your process if and when you do it.

How long does it take? I've spent the better part of a day just boiling whitetail heads for euro mounts. Nasty process at that.

The better part of a day. I talk to a GW in my home state who said he does the same thing, and that he doesn’t care if it’s perfect. He said that as long as I got most of the meat, the eyes, and most of the brains that no GW in my state would write me a ticket over a few little bits hanging on.

I forgot to mention. You definitely need some form of washing soda.

Brings back funny memories of housing before I implemented my current rule of not being able to see my neighbor.

I've kinda been pioneering the sous vide method, basically I've been living in a 1bedroom apt with no outside space for the last 7 years and have had to get creative in order to not piss off the misses. I'm doing a bear head right now, and am going to post the full process when I'm done, I've made a few modifications to the process, some necessary because bear skulls are just different. I'm still pretty much doing the same process as outlined here.

https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/crossing-state-lines-dealing-with-cwd-possible-solution.284992/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back