CWD positives in Idaho

Not where I expected the first case would be. I was really expecting it to hit Bonner County first.

Ground zero for some the most coveted muley units in the state. Let's hope prions don't jump rivers.

I will cross post the news release in the Idaho State Issues forum

I'm sure it's there, but as a Bonner County native, there's not a chance that those locals are gonna report a deer to the Government. If they did, they'd have to notch their tag...
Not wanting to de-rail the thread buuuut...

Amen to that.

I know of a lady on Rapid Lightning who makes moonshine that you can use to start your truck on cold mornings. My son rented a trailer space from her for a time. (He's since moved to Alsea, OR)

In my old job, I told my techs they better damn well have the right house and call ahead for house calls in Bonner and Boundary. Folks there don't like unmarked white vans pulling into their driveway.

This sucks.

The location of this detection really bothers me. CWD has been detected in NW Montana and Western Wyoming. If the spread was caused by natural deer movement it could be expected to be found first in Boundary or Bonner county in the north or along the Wyoming border in eastern Idaho. However, these two CWD positive deer are found hundreds of miles from either of those two locations. Am I wrong to think that this indicates that there is some other mechanism for spreading the disease? Are hunters spreading this disease by carrying CWD prions in the dirt on their boots? Is it travelling on agricultural products from contaminated areas?

Am I wrong to think that this indicates that there is some other mechanism for spreading the disease? Are hunters spreading this disease by carrying CWD prions in the dirt on their boots? Is it travelling on agricultural products from contaminated areas?
My money would be on hunters bringing carcasses across state lines. Here is Montana's CWD rule. Tell me how many out of state hunters you think follow this rule? Washington and Oregon are next.

Deer, elk and moose taken in Montana may be transported within Montana to a camp, a private residence for processing, a taxidermist, a processor, or a CWD sample collection site in Montana, provided the head and all portions of the spinal column remain at the site of the kill or such parts are disposed of in a class II landfill in Montana.
Except as provided above, only the following parts of any deer, elk or moose taken in Montana may be transported within Montana: parts suitable for food with no part of the spinal column or head attached; cleaned hide without the head; skull or skull plate or antlers that have been cleaned of all meat and brain tissue; teeth; or, finished taxidermy mounts.

This sucks.

The location of this detection really bothers me. CWD has been detected in NW Montana and Western Wyoming. If the spread was caused by natural deer movement it could be expected to be found first in Boundary or Bonner county in the north or along the Wyoming border in eastern Idaho. However, these two CWD positive deer are found hundreds of miles from either of those two locations. Am I wrong to think that this indicates that there is some other mechanism for spreading the disease? Are hunters spreading this disease by carrying CWD prions in the dirt on their boots? Is it travelling on agricultural products from contaminated areas?
It could certainly be indicative of an alternative mechanism of spread. Or it could be more a reflection of the sampling strategy or distribution and less reflective of the actual distribution of CWD. I am not familiar with Idaho’s sampling design so can’t make a guess there.

This isn’t unprecedented though. Other states have observed big “jumps” in geographic location between known endemic areas and new detections. Could be natural animal movements, human transported carcasses or materials, captive animal translocations, or who knows what else. Either way, you can typically assume that by the time CWD is detected, it has been present for some time.

Unfortunately not surprised in the least to see a detection this year in Idaho. I suspect they will ramp up testing in the next year or two and we’ll get a better sense of actual distribution.

Crap, been in the field and missed this. It is creeping closer; I have been worried about this for some time.
Faster than I anticipated this far west in ID.

My money would be on hunters bringing carcasses across state lines. Here is Montana's CWD rule. Tell me how many out of state hunters you think follow this rule? Washington and Oregon are next.

Deer, elk and moose taken in Montana may be transported within Montana to a camp, a private residence for processing, a taxidermist, a processor, or a CWD sample collection site in Montana, provided the head and all portions of the spinal column remain at the site of the kill or such parts are disposed of in a class II landfill in Montana.
Except as provided above, only the following parts of any deer, elk or moose taken in Montana may be transported within Montana: parts suitable for food with no part of the spinal column or head attached; cleaned hide without the head; skull or skull plate or antlers that have been cleaned of all meat and brain tissue; teeth; or, finished taxidermy mounts.
My money is it’s been around a lot longer than everyone wants to admit and we just started testing for it.

If we have it in Montana the way we pound our deer there is no stopping it. Might be hard to take but Canada seemed to navigate ok, it has been in Colorado a long time look at them go.

I was kind of annoyed that I had to remove all the brain tissue from skull of the buck I killed last month before coming back into Oregon, but this really drives home why. Sucks to see CWD make this much of a leap.

I think CWD is more wide spread than we know. Probably just something we have to deal with and not the end for deer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back