CWD positive meat

Your deer, elk, etc. tested positive for CWD. Does your household eat it?

• Total voters

Tiredofthebickering

This has come up in various threads, but I didn't see a thread dedicated to the question specifically. FL didn't have the same CWD problems that TN does so it is something that has come up in mind recently. To be honest, I'm not 100% right now. My gut reaction is that I'd label it and just eat it myself without feeding it to my kids or wife.

last season i got my very first WT Doe, and it happened to test positive for CWD.
unfortunately i had to dispose of the meat as i was not going to eat it. triple bagged it and off to the landfill it went.
i even offered it to a friend who "doesnt believe in CWD :)" but he didnt want it.

Personally don’t see a benefit to eating CWD positive meat. I very well may have eaten it already, but why take the risk?

First discovered in WI 20 years ago near where I hunt, but no increase in any of the prion caused diseases in humans from what I’ve found. Same with Colorado and Wyoming where it’s been on the landscape much longer.

Gets tiresome worrying about everything, gonna get CWD, gonna get COVID, gonna get Lymes disease, gonna get crabs, sheesh. Need a damn break from it!

Personally don’t see a benefit to eating CWD positive meat. I very well may have eaten it already, but why take the risk?

First discovered in WI 20 years ago near where I hunt, but no increase in any of the prion caused diseases in humans from what I’ve found. Same with Colorado and Wyoming where it’s been on the landscape much longer.

Gets tiresome worrying about everything, gonna get CWD, gonna get COVID, gonna get Lymes disease, gonna get crabs, sheesh. Need a damn break from it!
To put some of those concerns to bed, that last one is pretty treatable. It's the clap you gotta watch out for ;)

I'm like you AJ, would just eat it myself. I would throw away the neck. Not that that is likely to make much difference, more of a mental thing.

I wouldn't the same way I wouldn't eat beef that is positive for mad cow. Prions are weird nasty things. Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD) is no joke with rapid neuro degeneration.

I'd say no one eats it, that being said
probably a good chance we've already eaten one without knowing.
Probably true, considering how prions are basically indestructible and the disease has been around for so long... there's probably plenty of people who've ingested.

I'd say no one eats it, that being said
probably a good chance we've already eaten one without knowing.

I wouldn't knowingly feed it to my young kids, there's something about their little developing brains that makes me nervous to expose them. I know we've all eaten venison that later was given a positive result due to a processing snafu by CPW, but the rest of that one went in the landfill. It still makes me sick to my stomach that I had to throw all that meat out. I offered it to a few people who "aren't scared of CWD" but they didn't take it, so I guess they are a little scared to eat it after all!

Around here a lot of untested meat that is probably positive for cwd is eaten every year.
One interesting thing. I know of several people who stated they would have no problem eating venison that tested positive. So when a perfectly healthy looking fat deer I killed tested positive, I made some phone calls and offered already wrapped and frozen meat to the people. All of the responses were like " thanks anyway but my freezers are all full" , " I'd love to take it but my wife won't let it in the house."
I still take some tested meat to a processer for summer sausage, hot dogs etc. knowing full well it gets mixed in with untested meat. Oh well !

Our mailbox is in LaSalle but not the house! Putnam is so small you can darn near see the other side. Smallest county in the state.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back