CWD Moose in Montana

I don’t understand why Mulies are the most likely to get it. Elk herd up in giant herds all winter and live in smaller herds the rest of the year.

I'd be interested to know what the prevalence rates of CWD are for moose that live in heavy CWD areas. If it's still pretty low then you'd think the environmental component was minor since moose are so solitary. I'm sure there is literature out there.

I'd be interested to know what the prevalence rates of CWD are for moose that live in heavy CWD areas. If it's still pretty low then you'd think the environmental component was minor since moose are so solitary. I'm sure there is literature out there.
It is there is maybe 1 or 2 a year in sask. Mulies are by far the worst for getting it

I hate to hear that. I know the moose in that area, or at least across the state line in Idaho, were already struggling.

Just saw this article today. Pretty disappointing!
I'm curious if CWD is affecting the moose in the same manner it does deer. As in lethargic, loss of balance, etc.

People claim no concerns over eating CWD infected game meat, yet FWP & CDC suggest not to eat, etc. Along with no culpability with usual, "wanton waste". Lot of meat gone to waste due to the disease. Stigma or not, better safe than sorry.

There is no known transmission of CWD to humans or other animals, including pets or livestock. The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that hunters harvesting a deer, elk, or moose from an area where CWD is known to be present have their animal tested for CWD prior to consuming the meat, and to not consume the meat if the animal tests positive.

The hunter took the rest of the moose to a landfill, where it was properly disposed.

This is the second moose in the Libby area area. I've put in for that tag for a couple decades now. May have to pick another. Hmm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back