CVA Paramount

Ameyer283

I bought a CVA paramount from ASG awhile back. I am still needing to get powder/primers/scope/scope rings. I'm excited to shoot it! It's my first muzzleloader and I was told it's the best option that's not a full custom build.
What primers are you using? I have read in places use magnum primers and I have read in other places use the standard primers. A lot of contradicting opinions out there.

johnrr65

I bought a CVA paramount from ASG awhile back. I am still needing to get powder/primers/scope/scope rings. I'm excited to shoot it! It's my first muzzleloader and I was told it's the best option that's not a full custom build.
What primers are you using? I have read in places use magnum primers and I have read in other places use the standard primers. A lot of contradicting opinions out there.
+1

F250

I have been researching the Paramount. I'm hoping you will give us a review after you put some rounds through it.

mdhunter

I purchased one and have shot it several times. My input is it’s all that has been advertised...that and it’s heavy as hell. It’s one thing to read the advertised weight, it’s another thing to carry it comfortably. I have never thought about any of my rifles weight. All I can say is the Paramount is much heavier than anything I own.

I have not shot it at 300 yards yet and planned to today until I woke up and saw the weather, so I can’t help anyone there. It is very accurate at 200 so I can’t believe 300 is a mystery.

I mounted mine with a Vortex 4x16x44 BDC

My only complaint is the the weight. It will work fine for what I mostly do which is stand hunting whitetails. If I am going elk hunting I will give pause before bringing it. Let’s just say you probably won’t be shooting offhand with it. Put a bipod on it and you would have to be eleven pounds (or dang close).

If my old CVA would shoot 200yd and this one shoots 300+, is it worth it? Maybe, depends on the circumstances.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited:

Tjd

I killed a good bull in AZ with mine this year. Pretty sweet rig. I have shot it out to 500 and its been sub MOA... only with a dirty barrel though! I love tinkering with it and knowing i can still get her done long range.

The weight isnt an issue as some of my long range rigs are 12+ lbs.... running a swaro z5 on mine. I would def recommend shooting this set up.

Bullets worked great on my bull too

I shot my bull off hand at 170 yrds

ElkStalker

Just to give you a heads up. If you plan to hunt elk in Colorado it won't be legal in muzzleloader season. It can be used in rifle seasons ok but a muzzy needs to be a minimum .50 cal.