PEAX Equipment

CVA Paramount

I bought a CVA paramount from ASG awhile back. I am still needing to get powder/primers/scope/scope rings. I'm excited to shoot it! It's my first muzzleloader and I was told it's the best option that's not a full custom build.
What primers are you using? I have read in places use magnum primers and I have read in other places use the standard primers. A lot of contradicting opinions out there.

I bought a CVA paramount from ASG awhile back. I am still needing to get powder/primers/scope/scope rings. I'm excited to shoot it! It's my first muzzleloader and I was told it's the best option that's not a full custom build.
What primers are you using? I have read in places use magnum primers and I have read in other places use the standard primers. A lot of contradicting opinions out there.
+1
BB.jpg

I have been researching the Paramount. I'm hoping you will give us a review after you put some rounds through it.

I purchased one and have shot it several times. My input is it’s all that has been advertised...that and it’s heavy as hell. It’s one thing to read the advertised weight, it’s another thing to carry it comfortably. I have never thought about any of my rifles weight. All I can say is the Paramount is much heavier than anything I own.

I have not shot it at 300 yards yet and planned to today until I woke up and saw the weather, so I can’t help anyone there. It is very accurate at 200 so I can’t believe 300 is a mystery.

I mounted mine with a Vortex 4x16x44 BDC

My only complaint is the the weight. It will work fine for what I mostly do which is stand hunting whitetails. If I am going elk hunting I will give pause before bringing it. Let’s just say you probably won’t be shooting offhand with it. Put a bipod on it and you would have to be eleven pounds (or dang close).

If my old CVA would shoot 200yd and this one shoots 300+, is it worth it? Maybe, depends on the circumstances.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited:
I killed a good bull in AZ with mine this year. Pretty sweet rig. I have shot it out to 500 and its been sub MOA... only with a dirty barrel though! I love tinkering with it and knowing i can still get her done long range.

The weight isnt an issue as some of my long range rigs are 12+ lbs.... running a swaro z5 on mine. I would def recommend shooting this set up.

Bullets worked great on my bull too

I shot my bull off hand at 170 yrds

Just to give you a heads up. If you plan to hunt elk in Colorado it won't be legal in muzzleloader season. It can be used in rifle seasons ok but a muzzy needs to be a minimum .50 cal.

I want to throw my opinion out there if anybody is interested...

I got my (2019 model) paramount with the ASG breech plug kit set up before Indiana whitetail season. I put a LaRue 20 Moa rail, American rifle company scope rings, nightforce shv 5-20x56, flatline ops bubble level, seekins pic rail for bipod, and atlas CAL bipod.

I am shooting 98 grains by weight of blackhorn 209, powerbelt elr bullets, and cci 250 primers. The cci 250 primers is what Luke from ASG recommended me to use.

I weighed it after I got everything setup, the gun ended up weighing right at 13.8 pounds. For whitetail hunting around Indiana the weight is not a big deal, but for western hunting I would say it's way to heavy. I am considering swapping the stock to try and get the weight down.

I shot a 3/4" three shot group at 100 yards. I think the trigger is pretty heavy, i will be putting a triggertech trigger in sometime this summer. I'm hoping my groups will shrink up a little with that trigger.

I hope helps somebody out that may be on the fence about buying the rifle. I would highly recommend buying the paramount (or paramount pro) for ASG!

My finally thoughts... I would buy this muzzleloader again! If the paramount pro would have been for sale when I bought mine I definitely would have bought the pro instead. I have no regrets with this one though.

Edit: I have only shot out to 100 yards as of now. I am looking forward to getting the data I need for a good drop chart out to 500 yards for shooting paper.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back