Cutting a stock to fit

Horn Seeker

So, what is the "proper" way to determine the best length of pull for someone?? I am a small guy, 5'7"... and I have no problem with full size guns. I cut down a shotgun and a rifle for my daughter, whose just 5 foot... I cut 1 1/4 off her rifle stock. I still feel comfortable shooting that rifle, but I have to adjust my cheek placement a bit on the stock to get the right eye relief...

Anyhow, I have an old 06' that I am going to set up for a friend. She thinks it feels fine as is, but she's only 5'3 and I am just thinking a little shorter on the LOP would suit her. Is there a way to best determine this or should I just wing it? As far as her thinking its fine, at full length... she really doesn't probably know what "right" feels like...??

Thanks for any input.

As far as "proper" I couldn't tell you, but I have heard of an old stock/rifle maker that would take the individual he was doing the build for out behind his shop and set a target up at 25 yards and have them close their eyes and shoulder the rifle. After shouldered he would have the individual open their eyes and tell him where the point of aim was in relation to the target. If it was low it meant it needed to be shortened, if it was high then it needed to be lengthened. I assume there was some type of dummy template stock that he used and then once correct LOP was figured he would cut the actually stock to proper length (measure twice, cut once).

I've personally never cut a stock down, but have tried this fitting method out in the woods when bored. The only problem I had was I started compensating POA after the first couple shoulderings. So I supposed if you space them out with a 5 minute break in between it might prevent compensating.

When you know the stock is already too long you could try this method and cut 1/8" off at a time and reapeat the proccess until proper fit was achieved.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back