Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Cutler gone

Oak

Expert
Well, there's always the Nuggets I guess....

So how good is Kyle Orton? :rolleyes:

The Chicago Bears pulled the big upset Thursday afternoon by acquiring Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, a source told ESPN.com.
The Broncos confirmed the move.

To acquire Cutler, the Bears had to give up quarterback Kyle Orton and first-round picks in 2009 and 2010, a source said.
To complete the trade, the Broncos had to give back an undisclosed draft choice in a later round.
The Bears beat out the Redskins, Buccaneers, Lions, Titans and other teams to get land the 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback.

The Broncos had been asking for at least two first-round choices.
Cutler asked to be traded when he found out first-year coach Josh McDaniels tried to acquire Matt Cassel in a trade with the Patriots.
Cutler had not returned phone calls from the Broncos, according to the team, and had been staying away from the offseason program.
John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com

Cutler was a whiney baby who got what he deserved. His actions over the last month did nothing but drag the team down. But that doesn't change the fact that the Broncos just went from a 9-7 team to a 5-11 team. Big step backwards that will take some serious work to make up.

Well, there's always the Nuggets I guess....

So how good is Kyle Orton? :rolleyes:

Oak, if you have anything close to what they call a receiver, he'll do OK for you. did fine last year with the bears, with NO receivers. could be worse. you could have gotten grossman. and you picked up a couple 1st round draft choices over the next 2 years.

I may not even be able to come up with 4.... Brady may not be in that class any more. And, until Vick gets back.......

Vick? you are joking right?
Rothlessburger is always overlooked. 2 rings in 5 years is pretty good.

McDaniels:
Updated: April 3, 2009, 2:12 PM EST 411 comments ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) - Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels insisted he wanted things to work out with quarterback Jay Cutler. The feeling wasn't mutual.

In his first news conference in Denver since the rift developed more than a month ago, McDaniels said it became clear the Broncos had no choice but to grant Cutler his trade request.

The Broncos sent the Pro Bowl passer and a fifth-round pick in the upcoming draft to the Chicago Bears on Thursday for two first-round picks, a third-rounder and quarterback Kyle Orton.

McDaniels said Orton will compete with Chris Simms for the starting job in Denver. He also didn't rule out taking a quarterback in the draft.

The relationship between McDaniels and Cutler began to crumble when the 32-year-old rookie coach talked to other teams about trading the rocket-armed quarterback who turns 26 later this month. Cutler and his agent, Bus Cook, didn't think McDaniels was up front with them about the discussions and the distrust reached a level where he requested a trade.

McDaniels balked at first, saying he wanted to repair the relationship. But Cutler never returned his calls, and McDaniels realized the two sides weren't working toward the same goal.

"We got to a point where it was made very clear to us that we were not going to be able to get to a resolution where Jay Cutler could be on our football team," McDaniels said.

However, McDaniels said he doesn't have any regrets.

"It could have worked out," he insisted. "As I mentioned a week ago, it was going to require a two-way commitment."

The drama with Cutler began to unfold when Denver flirted with trying to acquire Matt Cassel, McDaniels' star pupil in New England. Cassel was traded to Kansas City instead, but feathers were already ruffled.

"I don't know where the blame lies, or if there is blame," McDaniels said. "Obviously, it was a situation where communication became an issue. At that point, it started to get progressively worse. But, I understand the player's mind-set. I understand that he wasn't happy with what had happened or transpired."

No reason to hang him...they just traded him away.

My impression that Cutler is a first rate power tool was cemented by this little fiasco. He was fun to watch, but I don't think he has the leadership abilities to lead men to the Superbowl. Socially, he seems to still be a 10th grader.

Yeah, probably cutting the nose off to spite the face, but I couldn't stand Cutler's attitude. Oh well, not making the playoffs is not making the playoffs, whether it is Cutler or Orton at the helm.

Orton is 21-12 as a starter...Cutler is 17-20. Who knows, maybe he'll flourish in McDaniel's system. Maybe they're planning for Orton to be a backup to somebody they trade for or draft. I'll reserve judgement until training camp.

Unless they bring in Quincy Carter. ;)

I hope that McDaniels does flourish. The Broncos have always been my second favorite team. It's just hard to come in at 32 yoa, replace a two time Super Bowl winning coach, alienate and eliminate the franchise quarterback, and still maintain fan confidence. He had better come out at least 6-2 by mid year, or Denver will be calling for his head.

Oh yeah, he's got huge shoes to fill, that can only be done by getting to the playoffs soon. He will be held to unrealistic standards, although the standards might be lowered a bit now that he has run the Pro Bowl quarterback out of town. ;) But when you think about it, the Broncos have only won one playoff game in the last 10 years. Won't take too much to improve on that.

Oak, orton was 15-2 at home for chicago. and he played the last half of the year hurt last year. high ankle sprain. and as everyone knows, chicago has no receivers. think he'll do fine for the broncs this year if he gets the starters job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back