custom rifle suggestions

Did you make the stock?
No. I bought it used. This was apparently a commercial Mauser stock. Had to modify my military Brno vz.24 action and the stock to make them mate. I also added the crossbolts and a 3/16" steel rod lengthwise through the stock's wrist for reinforcement.

No. I bought it used. This was apparently a commercial Mauser stock. Had to modify my military Brno vz.24 action and the stock to make them mate. I also added the crossbolts and a 3/16" steel rod lengthwise through the stock's wrist for reinforcement.

Pretty strong words about the younger generation for a guy that fit an action to a stock...

Pretty strong words about the younger generation for a guy that fit an action to a stock...
I don't doubt I could make a stock if I put my mind to it. The first stock I put on the rifle was only semi finished.
20231019_114147.jpg
I found this stock accidentally online looking for components. Deal was too good to pass. Took a lot of work to make a stock fitted for a commercial action to work with a military one. This wasn't a simple drop in!

I don't doubt I could make a stock if I put my mind to it. The first stock I put on the rifle was only semi finished.
View attachment 324319
I found this stock accidentally online looking for components. Deal was too good to pass. Took a lot of work to make a stock fitted for a commercial action to work with a military one. This wasn't a simple drop in!

I’m sure you could make one if you put your mind to it and I’m sure it took some effort to modify that stock.

The point of my post was bring attention to the generational laziness that you mentioned. There are guys on this forum and others in their 20’s and 30’s doing some pretty amazing things. A lot of them self taught as well. There are turds in every generation so I’d suggest you quit painting with such a broad brush

Perhaps. Personally, I never accepted limitations. My observation is the current generation, my daughter included (especially), finds excuses to live in a slot. I never could. My life almost slipped away too many times, starting with one cold October night on a mountain at the age of nineteen. I learned early on life is too short and precious to hobble myself with boundaries.

How many rifles have I built? Only this one. How many mentors showed me how to do it? Zero. Well, one if the internet counts. Tonight my ten year-old grandson saw that rifle for the first time. I took it with me for dinner at their place to show his dad. Parker's eyes popped. "Papa, that is a beautiful gun! You made that?" After I'm long gone and he is also old and gray, he will remember tonight. Hopefully, it will have inspired him to achieve. That would be my most significant achievement.

But that's just how I am. Be who you are. Or maybe be more than you think you are? 🙂
I learned a long time ago to not drive anything I built or shoot anything I made. A simple rule to live by:

There are 2 types of people that work on watches, jewelers and idiots…

This may not be a watch, but the advice is sound..

Yo
I learned a long time ago to not drive anything I built or shoot anything I made. A simple rule to live by:

There are 2 types of people that work on watches, jewelers and idiots…

This may not be a watch, but the advice is sound..
You assume jewelers are born not made.

I built this stock truck literally from the ground up and it served me well through fifteen years of hard service until I moved to Canada and got rid of my livestock.
1980 bull.JPG
Building a rifle may be a bit challenging but it's not watchmaking. You don't have the ability ... because you don't have the desire. That's fine. I am pleased to leave behind for my family a very special gun that I made ... as opposed to a whole bunch of them I bought. Different priorities.

I’m sure you could make one if you put your mind to it and I’m sure it took some effort to modify that stock.

The point of my post was bring attention to the generational laziness that you mentioned. There are guys on this forum and others in their 20’s and 30’s doing some pretty amazing things. A lot of them self taught as well. There are turds in every generation so I’d suggest you quit painting with such a broad brush
I have lived through a few generations so I feel somewhat qualified to make some generalizations. And you are free to disagree. I'm sure you've got seventy years of observation to support your generalizations.

I have lived through a few generations so I feel somewhat qualified to make some generalizations. And you are free to disagree. I'm sure you've got seventy years of observation to support your generalizations.

The view must be good from such a high horse.

I just find it interesting that you’re talking down to people about not learning a skill when you didn’t even learn the skill that you’re talking about.

Yo
You assume jewelers are born not made.

I built this stock truck literally from the ground up and it served me well through fifteen years of hard service until I moved to Canada and got rid of my livestock.
View attachment 324362
Building a rifle may be a bit challenging but it's not watchmaking. You don't have the ability ... because you don't have the desire. That's fine. I am pleased to leave behind for my family a very special gun that I made ... as opposed to a whole bunch of them I bought. Different priorities.
No need to beat your horse to death, but remember those pictures you colored in kindergarten? It’s a quantum leap from crayons to Michelangelo’s Sistene Chapel…

I'll add another vote for p-ham. After so many good references, I had him work on my -06 and I am very please with the service and the work.

I had some work on a handgun, Paul recommend another guy he felt would be a better choice. That's an extremely rare quality these days called integrity. He will get my all my business going forward.

The view must be good from such a high horse.

I just find it interesting that you’re talking down to people about not learning a skill when you didn’t even learn the skill that you’re talking about.
I'm not sure I know what you're talking about. However, I'm fairly certain you don't either. My personal opinion: I would never pay someone to put a rifle action on a synthetic stock. About the same skill level as changing the brake pads on a truck. The point is, doing the work yourself is not difficult and it's very rewarding.

I'm not sure I know what you're talking about. However, I'm fairly certain you don't either. My personal opinion: I would never pay someone to put a rifle action on a synthetic stock. About the same skill level as changing the brake pads on a truck. The point is, doing the work yourself is not difficult and it's very rewarding.

I agree it is very rewarding as I’ve actually built a handful of rifles myself. But I think our definition of ‘built’ is different. The OP wasn’t looking for gunsmith to just install as stock for him. He’s looking to buy and action, stock, barrel blank, and all the other components to go with it and have someone put it together for him. You proceed to call him and a whole generation lazy because he’s looking for a qualified person to install a barrel, something that you admit you’ve never done. So I think you may be a little confused on what ‘building’ a rifle actually entails. It’s a little more in depth than installing a barreled action in a stock.

But what do I know? I’m just a 36 year old that learned how to thread and chamber barrels in my 20’s. I surely don’t have enough life experience to really know anything

I agree it is very rewarding as I’ve actually built a handful of rifles myself. But I think our definition of ‘built’ is different. The OP wasn’t looking for gunsmith to just install as stock for him. He’s looking to buy and action, stock, barrel blank, and all the other components to go with it and have someone put it together for him. You proceed to call him and a whole generation lazy because he’s looking for a qualified person to install a barrel, something that you admit you’ve never done. So I think you may be a little confused on what ‘building’ a rifle actually entails. It’s a little more in depth than installing a barreled action in a stock.

But what do I know? I’m just a 36 year old that learned how to thread and chamber barrels in my 20’s. I surely don’t have enough life experience to really know anything
A lot of stocks come flat top only and need inletted, even if they’re synthetic. The whole “wood’s the only material worthy of this earth” argument is very outdated, and always has been.

Nice job. I prefer blued metal and wood stocks! Just had to do the bedding on one I had barreled to 260 Rem. Smith did a good job on the metal but didn't like the bedding to much. Wasn't shooting well so re-did the bedding and now it shoots great!

My dad, my brother, and I "built" our family home back in 1965. No, we didn't mill the lumber or make our own plumbing pipes or glass for the windows. We put the parts together into a domicile. Concrete to framing to finish carpentry to wiring to plumbing to roofing. Some stuff was necessary to farm out: furnace installation and fireplace masonry. But though we didn't make the house entirely from scratch, I think it's not inappropriate to say we built it. I did most of the hardest work building that rifle. I watched my Springfield be rebarreled. Setting the headspace is not rocket science. Just requires the right tools. Now, changing the receiver, bottom metal, bolt and extractor of an 8mm 98 Mauser into a 404 Jeffery was a lot of delicate work. Mind you, I didn't open the bolt face, but I provided the instructions and guidance for a local machinist who had never done any gunsmithing before. I would have done it myself if I'd had the machinery. With my own tools I modified the bottom metal, loading ramp, follower, extractor, feeding rails, scope base, stock, and recoil pad. I specially modified two crossbolts and built a jig to drill the holes. Also built a jig to drill the hole for wrist pin reinforcement rod. I made the fore end for the first stock from a block of zebrawood. Sure, I didn't thread the barrel on the receiver, but I know what that involves. Making this military action fit a used partially buggered commercial Mauser stock required a couple days careful modification. How long does it take to thread on a barrel or open a bolt face? Trimming an 8mm extractor claw to snap over on 404 Jeffery requires something more than just attaching it to a lathe. So yes, I didn't cut down a walnut tree and mill and shape the slab or cut the rifling in the barrel, but I think I put more than enough specialized work into this project to claim it as my build. I'm sure you have a different opinion and that's fine.

Edit: Forgot to mention I installed a new 3-position Model 70 style safety and shroud on a bolt that was slightly warped by the previous owner's "gunsmith" when he welded on an aftermarket bolt handle. That required some thinking outside the box and a couple days careful adjustment. No, I didn't make the safety but I made it work.

Last edited:
Nothin wrong with that. Some people can apparently fit stocks to rifles but struggle with how high to set zero at 100 yards to be on at 200 or following a scope manufacturer's instructions for adjusting a locking turret.
I did follow the instructions that came with the scope. That was the problem. Bushnell acknowledged the mistake in their illustration. But of course you knew that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back