Custom Made knife

Good lord man, there are so many options that you really need to narrow the field to your specific needs/wants before you even think about custom, small shop or factory offerings. Fixed or folder, stainless or carbon, bone,stag,micarta,g10. Blade profile and type of grind (scandi,convex,flat), Bushcrafter,hunter,skinner? Sheath options, leather, kydex, dangler? And then there is the BUDGET, $50, $250-$500 or sky's the limit? Oh My!

Go surf Bladeforums, Bushcraftusa etc for a LOT of great options.

Bark River and LT Wright are two VERY respected small shops that have a great variety, outstanding warranties and are priced fairly.

For some less expensive but still outstanding quality blades in the $100-150 range look at Esee knives and Tops knives both are small factory made by freedom-loving Americans in Idaho.

Last edited:

Todd puts out some amazing knifes. I own one and it is not only functional it is art. It will be a family heirloom.

Ruana knives in Bonner Montana make some very nice knives. Check out their website. I have the Steelhead and the 5AD and love both of them. Ruana knives have a very strong following.

Behring Made Knives in Missoula also makes some smaller knives for EDC carry that would be nice. The owner/knife maker is from Michigan and moved to Montana. Nice folks.

Personally, I would go with either D-2 steel, or S30-V. There are some others that are great, and fairly expensive. Both depend on your ability to sharpen knives. If you have a hard time sharpening a knife, then go with any one of the good AUSA8 blades. There are good production knives, with good steel, unless you just have your heart set on a custom. Knives of Alaska are great, as well as Benchmade, Puma and others. I have one very good custom, that I bought years ago from an outstanding knife maker in Las Cruces, New Mexico. I believe that he died, as he owed me two more and never came through.

Because of the S35VN steel or the wood or the drop point profile??? . Does it come with a sheath for that price? Kydex or leather?

Todd puts out some amazing knifes. I own one and it is not only functional it is art. It will be a family heirloom.
Same here, I travelled from the UK all the way to Bozeman to buy one :)
But, I have only used it once, it's such a thing of beauty I don't want to risk losing it, a New Years resolution will be to use it more!
Cheers
Richard

Same here, I travelled from the UK all the way to Bozeman to buy one :)
But, I have only used it once, it's such a thing of beauty I don't want to risk losing it, a New Years resolution will be to use it more!
Cheers
Richard

Which model did you end up going with?

Charles May makes a nice custom. Good no nonsense craftsman to communicate with. Only custom I've owned.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back