Custom Build

jrf

Hello - this is my first post and I appreciate everyone's help!

I am trying to build a custom rifle with the below specs and I would like your thoughts on how to make this happen for $1,500 or less.
I've been to several custom shops in my area and they seem more interested in doing 'custom' work that is custom to what they like to do. This will be a hunting rifle, so I doesn't need extreme bench accuracy.

1) 7mm-08 caliber
2) Matte Stainless Steel 22" Fluted Sporter Barrel (I live near ER Shaw and would like to use one of theirs, unless I end up having to buy a whole gun that already comes with a stainless steel 22" barrell)
3) Matte Stainless steel Receiver
4) Detachable drop-box steel magazine
5) Must be able to load and unload with the safety engaged
6) Black synthetic thumbhole stock
7) Overall length around 42"
8) Overall weight (without accessories) 6 - 7 lbs

I'm thinking it MIGHT be possible to get to that. Are you okay using a Savage Action? Reason I ask, it that they are about the only one that would allow you to hit you price mark with a detachable magazine since they come with it. The same thing could be built on a Rem or Howa action, but you're looking at adding $3-400 for the aftermarket DBM.

Similarly, if you're pretty handy you could change the barrels on your action yourself with a Savage. Just a couple of observations, but the DBM and Thumbhole Stock requirement are going to make it hard(er) to keep everything under your weight and cost goals. Most thumbhole stocks I'm aware of are laminated and therefore HEAVY. The synthetic ones I'm most aware of (McMillan) will blow the budget and possibly the weight goal.

1_pointer, that's great advice - thanks! I'm looking at the Savage 16FCSS "Weather Warrior" - it looks like just what I need. I may go for the laminate thumbhole stock anyways and take the weight up a little bit because I hear this model kicks like a mule.

Last I knew you could buy an action straight from savage. I think ER Shaw actually uses the savage action and last I looked you could get the barreled action from them. I have a little over $1800.00 in just the rifle I had built and all the parts were new including the rem700 action that I bought from brownells. . Scope and all it weighs 8 3/4 lbs with a 23" medium sporter barrel. My gunsmith only charged me $250.00 labor to chamber, thread, crown , put together and mount the scope.

I found out the hard way way this week, that a fluted barrel in gail force winds, sounds off like a train whistle. I'm not kidding.

You can buy an ER Shaw custom rifle for around $1,500. I had them quote me a price last year.

I was wrong just checked out their web site and it looks like they use a howa or vanguard action. Also looks like they only offer single shot in their rifle build. Dustin are you talking fluted or ported?

More bad news the only action savage offers alone is the target action that is single shot small bolt face.

I was wrong just checked out their web site and it looks like they use a howa or vanguard action. Also looks like they only offer single shot in their rifle build. Dustin are you talking fluted or ported?

Fluted. I was crossing a plateau above tree line, and the winds were gusting hard enough to knock me back. I had to take my rifle out of my backpack, and carry it barrel pointed into the wind to keep it from whistling.

They must have changed their builds, but they quoted me ~$1,200 on a custom bolt action 7mm Rem Mag in the spring of 2012. I just looked, and I don't have the email anymore.

Northland Shooters Supply sells Savage Actions but it looks like he only has blued actions available. You could check Savage shooters forum classifieds (you may need to pay to access).

1) 7mm-08 caliber
2) Matte Stainless Steel 22" Fluted Sporter Barrel (I live near ER Shaw and would like to use one of theirs, unless I end up having to buy a whole gun that already comes with a stainless steel 22" barrell)
3) Matte Stainless steel Receiver
4) Detachable drop-box steel magazine
5) Must be able to load and unload with the safety engaged
6) Black synthetic thumbhole stock
7) Overall length around 42"
8) Overall weight (without accessories) 6 - 7 lbs

...Sako Finnlite...except for stock

More bad news the only action savage offers alone is the target action that is single shot small bolt face.

I bought a used donor gun. find one with a beat up stock and barrel and toss those out and just use the action.

BuzzH built a rifle that is pretty much exactly what you describe. Maybe someone remembers that thread. I've been reading some things about Savage actions lately. I'll never use one. mtmuley

The worst part of a savage action I have found is that they are so long compaired to a 700 wich is why I went with the 700 action for mine. The savage short action is just about as long as a rem long action. Something to think about.

With all of your prerequisites, you should just buy a tikka superlite in 7mm08. The only thing that it doesn't have on your list is the thumbhole stock, which several stock makers now build. I own several customs and it is definitely out of your price range, more like 3-4000 without optics. I have even built several savage guns from the action up and they were great shooters, but you will have a very hard time getting under 8 pounds and the tikka will shoot way better than any ER Shaw barreled gun will. ER Shaw is the bottom of the barrel in most gunsmith circles.
Ben

Figured out where my whistle was coming from. Forgot about these holes in my stock...

DE61DC8E-06EA-4CC2-B607-7815C3283C67-1093-000001EB572498FC_zps74fb71ca.jpg

Back