Curvier women will live longer

Curly

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4606011.stm
Last Updated: Friday, 3 June, 2005, 10:33 GMT 11:33 UK
o.gif

Curvier women 'will live longer'

_40193877_zeta203.jpg
Catherine Zeta Jones is famed for her healthy figure

Curvy women are more likely to live longer than their slimmer counterparts, researchers have found.

Institute of Preventative Medicine in Copenhagen researchers found those with wider hips also appeared to be protected against heart conditions.

Women with a hip measurement smaller than 40 inches, or a size 14 would not have this protection, they said.

The researchers say hip fat contains a beneficial natural anti-inflammatory.

Narrow hips 'detrimental'

They said this anti-inflammatory, called adiponectin, prevents arteries swelling up and becoming blocked.

o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif
Fat on hips is different than fat on the abdomen
end_quote_rb.gif

Dr Berit Heitmann, Institute of Preventative Medicine

The hourglass figure has been made famous by women ranging from Marilyn Monroe and Sophia Loren to Kelly Brook and Catherine Zeta Jones today.

The Danish researchers examined almost 3,000 men and women aged between 35 and 65 from 1987 to 1988

They measured height, weight and body mass index - calculated by dividing weight in kilograms by the square of your height in metres.

They then looked at Danish health registers up until the end of 1998 to look at how many of the men and women had cardiovascular problems, and up to 2001 to see how many had died.

Compared to the group of women with the smallest hip circumferences, women with the biggest were found to have an 87% reduction in deaths.

They also had an 86% reduced risk of having coronary heart disease and a 46% reduction in the risk of developing cardiovascular disease, according to the researchers.

Previous studies have found both men and women with small hips are at an increased risk of developing diabetes, high blood pressure and gall bladder disease.

However the study, which has been published in Obesity Research, found a wider hip circumference was not linked with better heart health in men.

'Apple-shape' risk

Professor Berit Heitmann, who led the study, said: "It seems that the protection is not a matter of wide hips, it's the detrimental effect of narrow hips with a lack of muscle fat, or bone or a combination of both.

She added: "Fat on hips is different than fat on the abdomen. If you do not have enough of this fat you may risk heart attacks."

Carrying excess fat around the stomach, being 'apple shaped', is already known to be potentially damaging to health.

Fat cells in this part of the body pump out chemicals that can damage the insulin system, raising the risk of diabetes and heart disease.

Belinda Linden, of the British Heart Foundation said: "It has been widely reported that if you are apple-shaped, your risk of developing cardiovascular disease is likely to be greater than if you are pear-shaped.

"This study provides additional evidence of the association between hip circumference and cardiovascular protection among women." But she added: "It is important to consider both your body weight and shape in tandem. Controlling both by eating less and being more active is the best way to reduce your risk of heart and circulatory disease."

For starters, where did they say fat? I'm pretty sure I read curvy. I'm also pretty sure they used Catherine Zeta Jones and Sophia Loren as examples. On what planet are these women fat? Those women are stunning, but they certainly do exhibit the hip to waist ratio discussed in the study.

Oh and BTW I take it the three of you look like swimsuit models? Pony up pics of those rock-hard abs boys. I want to see the Adonises we are missing out on around here. ;) :rolleyes:

Hey! I am real "curvy" and I never claimed a big ass would make me live longer. And who the hell is Adonis? Is he one of the Jacksons? :p

I'm with Mojave...I can't stand the reed-thin models and actresses that seem to be the norm these days. (Lara Flynn Boyle...that chick on "Will and Grace..." blecch.) You guys have to remember that what Hollywood calls "curvy" and "full bodied" is nothing like what you're thinking of.

they don't have to be like a tree limb to look good no. I am referring to some of those women, not all mind you, that have certain things enlarged. To me, they are fat. Oh and MO, if I posted a pic of me on here with my shirt off, no one would ever want to came back! ;)

Please!!! Bandit, Ringer and Tuff they never said anything about Fat Chicks..... Guys are such Dumb asses :rolleyes:

Thanks for the article Uncle Curly!!!

Curvier means they do not look like a stick Figure!!!! Stick figures have No Boobs, No waste line and are straight down from their arm pits to their thighs, which is not attractive at all. It is not their fault they look anorexic or like Clarista Flockhart, but they do.. I Have a Nice Butt and a nice Rack.... hump I know when I am out with friends who are stick figures, I get hit on more then my stick figure friends so don't even go there. I could stand to loose a couple lbs (being pregnant now, it won't happen) but trust me guys in general would take me over Clarista Flockhart ANYDAY! :D

I can create a long list of how my cleavage kept me out of trouble, but I won't list that now! :p

P.S. Catherine Zeta Jones is HOT, so Don’t go there with Curvier means Fat!!!!

Ringer... :D .... :D .... :D ....

I prefer full figured women myself... I like girls with CURVES where girls oughta have CURVES...

Of course, listen to me, being FUSSY..??..

I haven't been laid in so long I can't remember who gets TIED UP.... :confused: ...

I should settle for anybody that has a vagina and a PULSE... hump ....

I`m still looking for my "old" photo albums... and i will show you my 5.pack :D

But Zeta- jones is one HOT MAMA... in fact if given a chance i would.....[ now dreaming] hump

I love how when the boys point out errors in posts about fat-assed ATVs i.e. they are being intelligent and thoughtful. When a girl points out errors, we are being sensitive. ;) :rolleyes:

Now Pygmy, there is a realist. Gotta appreciate honesty. :D

Curves, I like curves!

Nothing wrong with 200 + pounders if the proportions are right. Back in my college days, I briefly dated a gal that played collegiate basketball. She was 6'6" and around 215. At only 6'4" it was odd for me at first, then I REALLY got to like our raslin matches.

She'd be handy for packing out elk.

I wasn't meaning that they were fat in that manor chick,good lord, I was referring to those giant.....................yeah. Try to dance with those and you can knock out your partner! ;)

Mojave...Yup... I'm a realist...

Not by CHOICE, mind you, but being a slighty overweight, middle aged, sex deprived , grey whiskered GNOME, I'm far BEYOND the idea that I'm God's gift to WOMEN... :rolleyes: ....

Of course, like all old farts, I still have my memories....

The subject of BIG GIRLS reminds me of one of my old GIRLFRIENDS...

There was that Swedish girl..Her name was OLGA... Olga Fokyercelf....

I'm 5'6" tall, and Olga , a former Olympic moose milking champion, was 7' 4"...

Once, while we were dating, a friend asked me what postion we liked to use when we " got friendly" ...

I told him that we used the "bucket " method....

Olga like to do it standing up, and since she was so TALL and I am so SHORT, I had to stand on her "moose milking" bucket to get the job done...

She watched my face, and when my eyes started to roll back in my HEAD, she'd kick the BUCKET out from under me...

We'd probably still be together if it weren't for that tragic morning morning when Olga had drank a little too much Schnapps and tried to milk that BULL moose...

They ended up running off to CLEVELAND together and the last I heard she'd given birth to a pair of healthy moose calves...

I sure do MISS her...<<<SIGH>>>.....

Thats great PYGMY. I always went after the ones with a little heft to them. A little cushion for the pushin, and they were generally more fun than them stuck up sticks.

"Of course, like all old farts, I still have my memories...."

I think this old fart is losing his memories. It least my wife keeps tellin me they didn't happen. Must be fantasies.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back