Crunchy Snow

Horn Seeker

SUCKS! :mad:

Yesterday I hiked 2 hours uphill in the dark to get into "the spot" where the big boys live. Once I got about 1 1/2 hours up I got into the snow....VERY VERY loud and crunchy. All I heard all day was "thump thump thump" and "crash, crash, crash".

Saw two smallish bucks (near the size of the one I killed) and a bull that was too far away to tell size.

Cmon snow, we need you!

If you walk slow when you're in the crunchy stuff it's really only loud to you... We were walking through crunchy snow a couple years ago and thought there was nothing in 5 miles of us walking. We'd take a frew steps and listen and then jsut gave up. Soon we hear noise and Stopped and a herd of elk were coming over the ridge and we heared them before they heard us. We set up and plugged a Bull out of the herd.

Although soft snow is better a bit of captian crunch snow doesn't mean you won't get anything.

Good luck on your next outing.

Yeah, I know that too, but I still hate it!!! I actually love sitting on stand (whether in a treestand or just sitting watching an area) with crunchy snow cause you can commonly hear them a couple hundred yards off!

More frustrating Friday was the fact that I was also in pretty thick timber and I was hearing critters running 40 and 50 yards away but never getting a friggin glimpse of them.....Patience....slow down.......Aaaargh!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back