Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Crew Cab and Longbow?

vander34

Being the off-season I have been going through gear in spare time and have for a while been curious about the longbow from mystery ranch. I have a crewcab already and like it, just wondering what you guys that have used both think and which you like better?

Both are great, just depends upon what your use is, how much you plan to pack, whether you carry out boned meat or quarters, and many other things. You will like the Longbow as much as the CC.

I am curious as well.

I have the NICE frame, but need a bag. If I do a longer hunt in 2011 I may pick up the 6,500 prior, but most of my hunting will be day hunts. I want a bag that I can haul out a boned out deer/lope along with a few extra clothes in a single load. I hope the Longbow can handle this, but maybe not?

Thanks for bringing up the post vander.

I want a bag that I can haul out a boned out deer/lope along with a few extra clothes in a single load. I hope the Longbow can handle this, but maybe not?

I think that is where is excels. Boned meat and lots of stuff in the many compartments is what the Longbow was best made for. Think you found your answer, Miller.

I've been wanting a Longbow. I bone out the big critters so I think it would work well there.

But I think hauling out sheds with a longbow wouldn't work as well as a CC, so I have been torn. Might have to keep the CC as well.

P1010996.jpg

I have a load sling and want to try and see if you can use a top pack and load sling at the same time for hauling sheds. Just been to lazy so far.

I have been thinking about owning both... and I think I'll like it as well as the crewcab just thought I would ask. mtmiller I have a 6500, used it on a backpacking trip last winter during spring break I have to say you will like it I sure did :D

I just got the longbow for Christmas and I can't wait to use it. I will not get rid of the crew cab either. I think both packs have a roll. To me the longbow is more of a day pack (to take extras with you)with the ability and the room to take out most loads of boned out meat The pack is larger than I thought it would have been.

I have had the crewcab and now have the Longbow. Will purchase the 6500 when I need it. I think the Longbow and a 6500 are the perfect combo to cover most any hunt.

Of course, I've never picked up more than 2 sheds on a trip to utilize the crewcab the way Dink does.

Totally off subject here but I think the MR packs suck for hauling sheds. I find myself taking my barneys pack every time.

Nice pic dink, i guess if you add the weight of all those sheds it would almost equal one moose shed. Hahahaha

I have had the crewcab and now have the Longbow. Will purchase the 6500 when I need it. I think the Longbow and a 6500 are the perfect combo to cover most any hunt.

Thanks Spitz. That is what I was looking for.

Has anyone ever used a MR Big Horn? How is the X-Frame compared to the Nice Frame and can it carry heavy loads?

I'm probably going to pick one up this spring to complement my CC and 6500. I like the thought of having a pack in that size range without having to swap it onto the NICE frame when I want to use it.

I am gonna be ordering a new pack real soon I do mostly one to 3 day hunts so need a pack to haul some gear ie backpack stove, some food, you know the min essentials, but would like it to haul out quaters. I am leaning towards the Crew Cab right now as I think it would be good for longer hunts as well.
Thoughts?

I use the CC and purchased several load cells and a day lid to go along with the pack. With these cells the pack has so much capacity that I end up overloading it and carrying in to much crap! I will say the pack handles the load perfectly I was the one having problems lugging it around. What I liked was the ability to drop the load cells and daypack lid once I got to my desitination and either use the day lid or the CC as a pack. On scouting outings the day lid with the backpack harness does the trick. I did notice that some of the day lids do not come with the backpack harness. I am not sure why I would need a Longbow? Can you tell me why a person might need both a CC and Longbow?

I am looking at getting a mystery ranch pack mainly as a day pack. I am considering either the Big Horn or Crew Cab. I like that the Big Horn is a little lighter, but the versatility of the Crew Cab seems nice. I haven't seen much discussion on the Big Horn, but it seems most people really like the Crew Cab. How comfortable is the Crew Cab with relatively light loads? Also, it looks like the Big Horn has good webbing to attach a rifle scabbard to. How do you guys attach a rifle to the CC? It looks like one might be able to just place it in the compartment between the frame and the pack. What accessories would you recommend getting for the CC? I am thinking about getting possibly all of the add-ons right away, so I have them if I get the CC. This looks like a couple of side pockets, a lid, and some load cells. How many and what size load cells do you recommend that fit well within the CC?

IMO there are better options if you are looking for just a "daypack". I think the Crew Cab truly shines when used as a meat/load hauler. One of my only complaints with the Crew Cab..is that it is tough to get into the pockets when you have the pack cinched down on a heavy load. You pretty much have to loosen the straps to access the pockets. I wish they would have put the load/cinch straps on backside of the pockets, rather than on the front. That way when you tighten up the straps, you can still access the pockets without loosening your load.

There is no rifle carrying ability with the Crew Cab. I use a Kifaru Gun Bearer, and it works really well.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back