Yeti GOBOX Collection

Credit Card Suggestion

If your going for credit score, pay off the card in full before the end of the pay period so that your card shows 0 balance on every monthly statement.

Then annually request a limit increase, just shoot for the sky and see what they will give you. Like if your first limit is 2500 then after a year request 5k then 10k, etc.

Last edited:
Anyone here have any recommendations for credit Cards that they like? A little info on the situation....my wife and I are debt free, we pay cash for almost everything, but I have a CC (cabelas, yes i know its not great) that I've had for 12 years. I use it monthly for fuel and that's it. I pay it off every month and only use it to maintain some credit history. My wife doesn't have any kind of Credit card, but I'd like to get one for her to pay for a few things here and there for her credit. Do you guys have any suggestions? I'm not looking for a Dave Ramsey pitch either, so save those for someone else.
REI has served me well for over 40 yrs.

Their cash back and member discounts have also been great.

As a backup card for over 20 yrs, LLBean has been equally good.

what is your goal? do you want points or cash back? I pick mine for travel rewards so if that's your goal pick one of the expensive ones (capital one x, amex platinum, or chase sapphire reserve). citi seems to have the best cash back cards, unless you have access to one of the federal/ military credit unions. my signup bonus for my united card was enough for round trip to europe, so well worth it.

Im currently running a United Visa card for those sweet, sweet miles. (brah)

Here is a tip:

A lot of these credit cards have intro offers. The United Visa - that I literally just got a month ago - had a 'spend $3k in the first 3 months, get 60K bonus miles' (or something to that affect). So, I picked up the card, bought 2 United tickets abroad which got me double miles on that purchase plus met the 3mo spending bonus, paid it off (since I was going to spend that money anyway), and now have just about enough miles for 2 roundtrip airline tickets. Ill use the card for the trip since its double miles on hotels and car rentals, pay it off, then cancel it so I dont have to pay the yearly fee (I think its only $100 which isnt terrible) every year. Then, next time I see a good intro offer, Ill do this again.

I use the Amex Everyday Preferred card for pretty much everything. 3 points per dollar at US supermarkets (including gas I believe), 2X at gas stations, and 1X on everything else, plus a 50% bonus if you use it for more than 30 transactions a month. I've never carried a balance on any CC, but I think it's crazy to use cash for those things when you could be getting points on something. Plus cash for everything = fat wallet messing up your back.

For your case, there's probably better options since it doesn't sound like you'll be using a card 30+ times a month, and if you only have one card I wouldn't choose Amex as not every place takes it. Chase Sapphire Preferred is a good option for Visa. Both can transfer points to a ton of different airlines or hotels, but only the Alaska card can build points for Alaska Airlines.

A lot of these credit cards have intro offers.
My wife did her residency in Tucson, AZ. With intro offers for several different cards, I was able to travel once a month and only paid for tickets once or twice.

We use a Fidelity for all of our normal monthly purchases. I think is 2% cash back on every purchase when linked to Fidelity account. Their interface SUUUUCKS but it's the best cash back rewards I've found.

Go to nerd wallet and look at the various options for you.

If you travel Chase Sapphire of BOA travel rewards are good.
If you go to AK or fly AK airlines then that card is great, South West, Delta, etc...

I recommend trying to find a card the will benefit you the most based on your spending patterns and goals. There are a lot of options.

It's also best to get one before a planned big purchase as often to get the bonus points you need to speed like 3 -5k in the first couple of months.

If your using a credit card "correctly" APR and balance transfer rates shouldn't matter at all.

This is the ansa. Only you can add up how you'd spend money on it and what perks you'd get the most benefit from.

Nerd wallet or the points guy are a couple places that summarize the benefits of various card perks. The best benefits are usually on cards that have a minimal annual fee.

The two the wife and I use the most are the chase Amazon prime (5% back on amazon purchases) and capital one Venture which as various perks for frequent travelers and diners.

I've got Bank of America 1.5% cash back on everything, no fees....might have to look into the 2% everything Citicard mentioned above that's a good deal

Also have Costco (bc w shop there a bunch anyway) and it's 2% in store, 3% on dining and travel (hotels and airlines) and 4% on gas up to $7k

Everything possible goes on credit cards w highest return and it all gets paid off in full every month...

I would look for one with a flexible rewards program. I, personally, don't like brand specific, be it hotel or airlines. We have a CaptialOne and we get "3xmiles/points" for travel related stuff, but that includes, air, hotel, gas, restaurants, it piles up fast. From that we can offset credit card charges (that's how they do flights, we pay United, then remove the charge via points), we can apply to Amazon, cash back and tons of other options.

Since you pay off every month, the interest rate isn't all that important.

Sounds like you are running low dollars through it, so I'd look at cash back offers, building points in other areas will take a while if you run low dollars through it.

Nerd wallet is a good compare card resource. Look for annual fee (avoid IMO unless you run lots of money through it)

Only saw a few when I was working in restaurants in CT, staff would ooooh and aaaah over them, but they were usually attached to some hedgefund douchebag.
Yeah... growing up outside of Vail, and therefore working in Vail... a decent amount of them. :rolleyes: Seemed like guy always tipped 12%.

I used a Chase Sapphire Card and pay for everything I can with it to earn points rewards. But I consider it like cash and pay it off every month, never carried a balance. One year, just from regular rewards points, I geared up for an elk hunt, including new Vortex options, just with points, so in a way, for free!

Alaska here for quite some time. I only use it for online purchases and always pay it off.

Three trips to Alaska at about $20 a pop, so that was nice. I believe I pay $75 annual fee.

Sitting on 198k miles, so need to get back in the air.

I did some credit card churning from 2013-2015. Probably around $6k in rewards total net of some fees paid. Kind of a lot of work, had a spreadsheet to make sure cards were cancelled on time to avoid annual fees and watching payment deadlines. Whenever I think about trying that again it just sounds like too much work.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back