Crazy story from 04-06

Preston.W_HDO

So, here's a crazy one for you guys. And I'll probably get flak for this. I still don't understand or cant even explain this.

Back between 2004-06 me and my dad went out deer hunting in southeast Idaho. Only 30min drive from our house in 73a. As we were driving in he spotted a dead animal down this ravine. So, he wanted to see if maybe it had been poached or what.

We parked the truck and headed down to it. When we got to it, it was really weird. Looked to be the size of a large doe, but it had a white under belly orange/light brown upper half with white dots everywhere. And the head had been but off. Looked like an extremely large spring time fawn. Remember this is between October 10-24th.

We contacted fish and game and told them the exact spot. My dad took pictures of it but I haven't seen the pics in years. This story I know doesn't sound real. And I wish I could find the printed pics. But after looking online it was that of a fallow deer. How.. Why...I have no clue how it got there. My only guess, someone with a lot of money bought one live as an exotic pet and took it out and shot it. But what I don't understand is cut the head off and leave everything else?

Fish and game never (to my knowledge) went out and investigated. But it definitely was that of a fallow deer. Every year I go out and hunt that spot I remember this.

If anyone has a theory to how, I'd love to hear it.

QUOTE="npaden, post: 2924521, member: 18996"]
Fallow deer that got out of a game farm and got hit by a car?

[/QUOTE]

It had a bullet hole. Guess I should've mentioned that. To my knowledge there are no game farms in this part of Idaho? Or any farms to my knowledge with fallow deer?
[

Axis deer?

They have them on quite a few of the high fence places in Texas. So many that you see them free range.
It coulve been now looking at the pics. I was between 10-12 so it couldve.

But we don't have them here either. At least I don't know of any farms.

That's pretty wild but, I bet a guy would.be pretty surprised by all of the non native species in the lower 48 over the years.

Word is Wyoming has some Ibex that escaped from a ranch in the early 2000s not sure how true that is but I know more than one whose told me that.

That’s a weird one; I’d bet it was an axis/chital.

several years ago I was driving home from shooting at the club and there were two very tame-seeming chocolate-colored deer on a corner as I drove by. I thought they looked odd and I threw it in reverse to get pics.

They were definitely chocolate colored fallow. I called the DNR and offered to send pics after describing the location. They didn’t seem to care at all. Seemed strange, but I know they’re super busy.

At least 25 years ago and about 80 miles from here a farmer decided to raise fallow deer for fun and profit. He found out pretty quick that a barbed wire cattle fence wasn't quite good enough. Now the whole area is crawling with fallow deer. I've always wondered what the law would say about shooting one. I've seen some huge bucks. They are pretty much all on private land but as much as they are spreading it shouldn't be long before they reach public land or timber company land that allows hunting.

Just saw this post and thought I’d chime in. I grew up Downey In the 90’s, which is right there. One of my friends raised various animals such as ostriches, emus and oddly enough, fallow deer. We always had to go catch something that got loose every other day. One of their bucks got loose during hunting season and was shot, but that was probably 97 or 98. Not sure if they kept raising them after I graduated, but that is likely where that deer was from.

Just saw this post and thought I’d chime in. I grew up Downey In the 90’s, which is right there. One of my friends raised various animals such as ostriches, emus and oddly enough, fallow deer. We always had to go catch something that got loose every other day. One of their bucks got loose during hunting season and was shot, but that was probably 97 or 98. Not sure if they kept raising them after I graduated, but that is likely where that deer was from.
Wow. That wouldn't surprise me. Yea we are still baffled about it.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back