MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Crazy Mountains Public Access & FS Management Lawsuit Filed Today

Great article. Encompasses the history of how we got to where we are now in the Crazies and how the larger precedent these decisions have resonates further across all public lands. Worth keeping your eye on and raising your voice if you value that.

Also of value when discussing the Crazies is how in the spotlight and appearing to be at least more openly debated the gray area of legality it is.

Good time to not be eager to trade away what may be legal to access tomorrow.

Great article. Encompasses the history of how we got to where we are now in the Crazies and how the larger precedent these decisions have resonates further across all public lands. Worth keeping your eye on and raising your voice if you value that.

Also of value when discussing the Crazies is how in the spotlight and appearing to be at least more openly debated the gray area of legality it is.

Good time to not be eager to trade away what may be legal to access tomorrow.
Corner crossing I was referring to in my second paragraph

Deadline to respond 4/3

https://p2a.co/dRWe9Gm?p2asource=so...GYf-DY8_ulYYl2F7S2rPkiHJJVTlJLT2zMoq04J8SuanM

I am a retired USDA FS Law Enforcement Officer who worked in the Yellowstone Ranger District of the Custer Gallatin National. I know this issue very well.

I originally submitted approximate 14 page response to this proposal. Then another 6 or so page response. Then a verbal response via teams. This is my fourth comment.

I apologize for my tone however it is how I feel about this bizarre trade.

*Like I stated ealier in my comments, I appreciate everyones work and the costs associated - but the agency is not fulfilling it's mission with this exchange. As a former employee I am in complete disbelief it went forward.

*Local view points from around Big Timber or Harlowton were not represented in this back alley fiasco at conception, why not?
The original players changed. Names of the group changed. Supporters became opponents.
Two landowners sent in letters of opposition. Hardly a fair representation when the rules are changed.

And the folks who originally supported this exchange based on the original plans did not understand the level of change after the first comment period. The rules of the game changed.

*They being the CGNF staff also failed to listen to the district employees. Not one single Yellowstone RD employee was in favor of this exchange in it's entirety. They did not listen to the district ranger or law enforcement officers, why? Why not sit down and listen to your own employees?

One of the Yellowstone RD retired employees, a well known and respected recreation employee and Sweet Grass Co ranching family made a comment that "folks will not use that new trail due to the elevation climb, distance and location."

Recreation money was put into wilderness trails throughout the years rather than trails in the Crazy's. Why did the forest walk away from the access in the Crazy's?

Had they did read my comments they would see that there is accesses into Sweet Grass Creek. Why is the agency turning their backs? Why didn't they sue for access?

*I have researched the documents and been told by the inholders that Sweet Grass Creek is accessible, that it is a public road.

Chuch Rein's wife's dad was a SG County Commissioner who allegedly destroyed records while a commissioner. However those records still exist in the Livingston Office and in the State Library amoung other places.

*As an LEO, I wrote Violation Notices to folks going off road, damaging the resources and for simple MVUM incidents. Now they want to, are going to, take the 1%'ers money and bust a 22 mile trail in the hills when that trail could have been less then a 7 mile reroute and would have avoided the current issues. Why wasn't that option put forward?

*One million dollars from those Big Sky Moonlight eletes -1%ers for a trail. Humm - who's pockets were lined too?

Are folks same folks going propose a ski lift on the south end of the Crazies too?

*Not to mention the Half Moon area doesn't support the additional use. Visitor experiences will be tarnish by the larger access area. Not that the new 21 mile trail will be used but that Blue Lake and other areas will have more use. They should have learned about social torrance in college while obtaining a forestry degree.

I guarantee you that the additional use will cause trees around Blue Lake and other areas to be vandalized and used as firewood. That is high elevation with limited opportunities. Plus there is a special order which states no fires. More visitation more violations. You build it they will come. Do we really need more use withing the Big Timber drainage? Having access in Sweet Grass Creek would spread out visitor use.

I can't even begin to get the recreation staff to add one additional camping space in the Main Boulder at Aspen CG but a large parking lot will be built at Halfmoon. That will add additional run off, pollutants, damage water quality, ruin visitor use experiences and create further aggregate the inholder.

*This will make those involved multi millionaires overnight by this asnine approval. Do you really believe that rock and ice acres above tree level are valued the same as the lush fields, timber land, abundant wildlife and running water? Ask yourself how is that value figure?

Just think of the trees, grass and shrubs and wildlife that will be disturbed or destroyed in order for the rich eletes to get their way. Throw money at it and some folks buy right into it hook line and sinker. Disturbing areas that are already accessible by hiking right up behind the dude ranch by the present East Side Trail. But no - trade that access away.

*This proposal is not the agency that Karol VanClive or their two daughters once proudly supported.
Van Clive's were not greedy like the other two siblings of the Barbara and Shelley Carroccia / Paige Dringman Family. Very interesting how the differences between one family split by marriage can be so hateful and gready.
And it is pathetic the Dringman's being a county planner and county attorney have influenced this exchange. Not to mention Rein's close friends in political powers.

*Frankly I am extremely disappointed, no appalled in Lauren Oswald and staff. Knowing Lauren, I believe she pushed this in order to further the "wilderness values" within the Crazy Mtns. The agency turned down the Crazies wilderness promises some 40 years ago. What are the agencies true intentions?

*The USFS is the reason this Exchange failed. And that failure is continuing in order to cover up past errors.
Recently retired Forest Supervisor Mary Erickson signed into the Carroccia's book in order to access the drainage. Even after the OIG, two district rangers and an LEO sent information out telling the employees not to sign in? That ruined the adverse action case now didn't it. This warning was in place well over a 15 year period by OIG. And ask yourself why the agency isn't acting on access issues. Seriously they look like fools!

*During the Teams Meeting I could tell what the outcome was going to be. I based that on their verbal and nonverbals. I feel that they and Erickson already had their minds made up. And to have one lousy alternative indicates how this was being crammed down the public's throats!

*This whole thing is a self fulfilling prophecy then they did not study this exchange and ask the hard questions. Which in my view they did not!

The FOIA provided to Paige Dringmann and the Langhus - Hailstone Ranch show several options instead of the single one presented. Not all of the items or paperwork covering the Sweet Grass / Carroccia FOIA was present? I am ask why not?

*i am not privileged to know what happens at your 30,000 feet level.
But at my boots on the ground level I will tell you that the US Tax payers, sportsman and locals who have traditionally used this area are getting screwed.

*The lack of fighting for prescriptive easements is mind blowing! Why in the last 6 years or so has the FS turned a blind eye? And they are doing the same thing on the Dakota Grasslands and on the B-D why? How that came about. Who made that decision and signed off on it. I am under the impression that thirty percent of the roads and trails will be given up and not represented based on that policy. Mr. Zinke, you have stated you are for access. Stand up and demand access!

When I asked Oswald how these determinations were made I was refered to the travel plan. The MVUM plan is flawed in that it was designed and is an easy way to walk away from access issues.

*This trade does nothing to address access in the east side. It takes any opportunity to access Sweet Grass Creek away.

*This exchange does not provide for land development within the Sweet Grass Creek Drainage from future occurrence which they say is part of the reasoning for the trade. This protection needs to be placed in the Deed.

*No one trades land without keeping oil and mineral rights. Why is that not the case here. In fact I am sick of the government giving cheap leases when folks like my family have mineral rights and are passed up for exploration. Keystone - how about they drill in Musselshell Co and pay our mineral holders instead of Canada?

*The Ag. Sec., FS Chief, and Regional Forester recieved political pressure to have Alex Sienkiewicz blackballed and ostracized. He was and is slandered by all of them. And it continues today. That violates the ethics and integrity this agency is suppose to achieve and follow. Your opportunity to make thing right is now.

When is the FS going to stand up and represent it's employees publically for doing their appointed duties?

That action was nothing more than political power trip to achieve this result. The DR wasn't even asked or involved in this bastardized deal. In fact he was removed from it.

These are my opinions and facts from various entities.

You might want to know that there is an opened investigation into this exchange by the General Accountability Office and Office of Inspector General - USDA due to agency employees conduct and disproportionate value.

Please see the following for more broader information. You may have to copy and paste.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/hJcDQ4QFok2Bh5jH/?mibextid=oFDknk

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/...EX9YO5Tvhhz1ROX3YxYGUJs4CtMUfUaG9hmHauG5l2Zgc

https://inthesetimes.com/article/cr...AKpUQjJT6laDGzhRckysY7VPgab7Aup6iomwbozuzpINg

https://www.plwa.org/crazy-mountain...auRkyOqkUJ5roT0BdwxHPYjdPZ26zMWTO0HAR3DjwELSQ

I appreciate your time and consideration. Questions please contact me.

Thank you.

Shawn Tripp
[email protected]
406-930-0515
PO Box 661
Big Timber, MT 59011

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back