MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Crazy day in the woods

Northwoods

I was bow hunting for deer in a nice funnel this morning that I had been excited about hunting all fall. There aren’t any good trees in this spot to use my climber stand without being very exposed so I built a little ground blind there this spring. Things were quiet when the woods suddenly erupted. Seconds later a doe was sprinting straight at me. I stood up in case she came crashing into my blind but she made a last second maneuver. I probably could have reached out and touched her. About 20 feet behind the deer was a wolf, again coming right at me. I yelled at the wolf, stopping it right in front of me. The wolf gracefully turned around and trotted back the direction it came from. 3 other wolves also did a u-turn in front of me. I would have had a great shot at the biggest wolf but it’s Minnesota, sigh. I packed up my stuff and walked back to my truck.

I usually have a couple of wolf encounters every fall while deer hunting but today was one of the craziest.

Dang that's really being in the game. Wow. I saw an owl fly in toss a small raccoon out of a cypress tree once and I thought I was in an episode of Wild Kingdom.

That’s a pretty cool story. We were bird hunting once walking up a game trail and a group of 20 or 25 wild pigs came trotting up the trail. We stepped off to the side of the trail and they trotted right by us maybe 3’ away from us. They didn’t even notice us until the last pig went by. Scared the Chit out of him and he barked, sending them all on a scamper up the trail. That was cool but wolves chasing a deer is on another level. You probably saved that doe and the nice buck shes going to birth next year!! Very cool!

If you don't mind I will send over some of the wolves in norther WI to you as well.

Not nearly as exciting as your story, about a month ago I was on my back deck and young doe came running towards me just before dark. I was thinking to myself what is she doing, she was running full steam right at me. About 10 yards from the deck she took a hard turn and ran over behind the shed and I could hear her panting and trying to hide. Sure enough 100 yards down the trail, there comes the wolf. When he saw me he put the brakes on quick. He spent the next hour doing a loop on one of the trails and got a bunch of trail camera pictures of him waiting for it to quiet down so he could go after her again.

Fast forward a couple weeks I think he got her. I have a camera about 75 yards away from the back of the house and I got a picture of him with a deer shoulder and leg in his mouth.

Mother nature is a pretty amazing thing, however it would be nice to have a few deer around during season. The wolves just keep getting to them before I can.

Several years ago I was. Moose hunting in Minnesota near Baudette and while sitting over a bog with a large pile of stone behind me. I got the eerie feeling something was watching me and I turned my head to look behind me. There on top of the rock pile stood a large wolf looking at me. We looked at each other for 20-30 seconds that seemed like an hour. Then it turned and leaped off the stone pile and disappeared. It was one of my most memorable encounters. That night sitting around the campfire we listened to a pack of wolves howling that sent shivers up my spine.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back