Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Crawfish stuffed backstrap

Gellar

The kids and I enjoy creek stomping in the summer and catching crawfish so I had some frozen that needed to be used. They were already boiled but still whole. After shucking the tails i rehydrated about 4 morel mushrooms from last spring. In butter, I cooked the onions and morels and added the tails at the end for about 1 minute. In a mixing bowl I put it all with cream cheese and mixed it together. I took a chunk of venison backstrap about 4 inches long and made a pocket in it. The pocket was filled with the cream cheese, crawfish, morel mix. To cook the backstrap I just cooked it like I normally do. 1.5 minutes on each side in hot cast iron and into the 350 degree oven for 3 minutes. I’m not sure if it was just my expectations were to high or what but it was very good, just not as good as I anticipated.

crayfish on ice

1611171234480.jpeg

crayfish, morels rehydrated, and onion sautéing in butter
1611171279394.jpeg

finished product
1611171478493.jpeg

here’s the original recipe I got the idea from.

Crawfish, Bacon and Mushroom Stuffed Beef Tenderloin
0 Reviews

Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen
SAVED RECIPE
SAVE RECIPE
PRINT EMAIL

1 video | Crawfish-Stuffed Beef Loin (03:43)
Total Time:
1 hr 15 min
Prep:
25 min
Inactive:
5 min
Cook:
45 min
Yield:6 servings
Level:Easy
Next Recipe

Crawfish-Stuffed Beef Loin (03:43)
Paula experiments using crawfish and bacon in a beef tenderloin stuffing.
Ingredients
8 ounces bacon, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups chopped mixed mushrooms ( shiitake and cremini)
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 pound crawfish, chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
One 8 ounce package cream cheese, cubed
One 3-pound center cut beef tenderloin roast, butterflied by your butcher
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Cook half of the bacon until crisp in a large skillet. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet that you cooked the bacon in, add the butter, mushrooms and shallots and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the crawfish and parsley and saute until tender. Pour the mixture out onto a baking sheet and add the cream cheese and mix together.

Sprinkle the tenderloin with the olive oil, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Spoon the mushroom, bacon and crawfish mixture down the center of the tenderloin. Bring the two sides of the tenderloin up around the filling to meet. Use butcher string and tie around the roll at 2 inch intervals. Top with the remaining bacon.

Roast until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the meat reads 125 degrees F, 30 to 35 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Back