CPW Commission: End Crow, rail, and sora hunting

It was pretty clear the message he was trying to convey. And it lines up with his body language throughout the mtg, especially when talking about hunting related matters
Tuchton is not our friend and definitely has his own agenda. Also maybe it's just me but I find his manner of speaking totally annoying - drives me crazy every time he opens his mouth. His term can't end quick enough.

Hunting in Colorado is doomed. When it falls there it will fall in all the Dem controlled states. Washington, Oregon, California and so on.

Plenty of people here vote for what is happening. Shouldn't be any outrage.

I guess we
Hunting in Colorado is doomed. When it falls there it will fall in all the Dem controlled states. Washington, Oregon, California and so on.

Plenty of people here vote for what is happening. Shouldn't be any outrage.
I guess we should all just give up then. Take up golf. Why don't you take your pessimism and sod off.

I guess we

I guess we should all just give up then. Take up golf. Why don't you take your pessimism and sod off.
No need for outrage....it's what the people want and plenty of people here support them.

In case you havent noticed lately it's every state for themselves.

Last edited:
No need for outrage....it's what the people want and plenty of people here support them.

In case you havent noticed lately it's every state for themselves.
And it’s just going to get worse. Tag prices are only going to go up. Tag splits are only going to get worse for non-residents. Try to plan accordingly, it’s about all you can do.

I truly hope the decreased draw odds and increase in tag cost start to drive people away from western hunting. We cannot realistically have a notable increase in huntable acres or increasing animals per animal acre.

News flash: Colorado Bowhunters Association just proposed OTC non-resident licenses available to guided non-residents IF CPW were to leave resident archery elk OTC and limit NR OTC elk.
Source? Link?

Public comment begins at this link: https://www.youtube.com/live/RftxOX9iUmk?feature=share&t=3641

Lane Walter, CBA: "If we want to do something with the outfitters, and I think something should be done so that they're not losing out so much, sell an OTC tag to where you have to be with a guide, and have that as a separate tag. That way the guides aren't as affected by this change."

Public comment begins at this link: https://www.youtube.com/live/RftxOX9iUmk?feature=share&t=3641

Lane Walter, CBA: "If we want to do something with the outfitters, and I think something should be done so that they're not losing out so much, sell an OTC tag to where you have to be with a guide, and have that as a separate tag. That way the guides aren't as affected by this change."
What sellout piece of trash. F him and the cba!

What exactly are the outfitters losing out on? Most that are worth a crap are booked 2-3 years out already.

Doesn’t seem like that much of an outrage. Would seem to me that as long as the owner of the outfit is a resident of the state throwing a bone to these businesses isn’t a terrible idea. I know there is not much love here for outfitters, but the industry has huge economic impact in Colorado and a “take no prisoners approach” will likely result in nothing happening. FWIW, I’m not a Colorado resident and never used a guide in Colorado nor could I imagine the scenario in which I would. (Well, maybe if the elk hunting becomes kick-ass after DIY NR OTC goes away 😜)

Doesn’t seem like that much of an outrage. Would seem to me that as long as the owner of the outfit is a resident of the state throwing a bone to these businesses isn’t a terrible idea. I know there is not much love here for outfitters, but the industry has huge economic impact in Colorado and a “take no prisoners approach” will likely result in nothing happening. FWIW, I’m not a Colorado resident and never used a guide in Colorado nor could I imagine the scenario in which I would. (Well, maybe if the elk hunting becomes kick-ass after DIY NR OTC goes away 😜)
Beware the camel's nose. There is no reason to go down that road. I don't dislike outfitters...I just don't think they need a special set aside of a public resource to stay in business. I would certainly like to see some numbers behind the "huge economic impact" statement as well. In 2021, nonresidents drew 33,390 limited deer and elk licenses in CO, and purchased another 44,715 elk licenses over the counter. Over 78,000 licenses sold to NR, AKA potential outfitter clients. And another 20% of all licenses in limited draw units were available to landowners, to be marketed however they like. Many of those go to outfitted clients.

There are 85 outfitters listed in the Colorado Outfitters Association 2023 directory. If my math is right, the numbers above indicate a potential client pool of over 900 NR licenses per outfitter.

Beware the camel's nose. There is no reason to go down that road. I don't dislike outfitters...I just don't think they need a special set aside of a public resource to stay in business. I would certainly like to see some numbers behind the "huge economic impact" statement as well. In 2021, nonresidents drew 33,390 limited deer and elk licenses in CO, and purchased another 44,715 elk licenses over the counter. Over 78,000 licenses sold to NR, AKA potential outfitter clients. And another 20% of all licenses in limited draw units were available to landowners, to be marketed however they like. Many of those go to outfitted clients.

There are 85 outfitters listed in the Colorado Outfitters Association 2023 directory. If my math is right, the numbers above indicate a potential client pool of over 900 NR licenses per outfitter.
I hate it when facts and real numbers get in the way of my point of view. That last paragraph is very eye opening, even with a cut in NR tags that’s an enormous potential client pool! Thanks for sharing.

I agree with you on not giving outfitters preference on this. Your math is correct on the numbers above but keep in mind that many licensed outfitters do not belong to COA. I don't know the number but I'd guess about half belong.

I agree with you on not giving outfitters preference on this. Your math is correct on the numbers above but keep in mind that many licensed outfitters do not belong to COA. I don't know the number but I'd guess about half belong.
So only 450 nr licenses per outfitter.
Still pretty large client pool. Those poor babies. How will they get by? 5-6 people (that’s probably low) in camp for every hunting season at 5-6k per hunter.

So only 450 nr licenses per outfitter.
Still pretty large client pool. Those poor babies. How will they get by? 5-6 people (that’s probably low) in camp for every hunting season at 5-6k per hunter.
How dare you believe in a free market system for outfitters

Back