Cow moose

Preacher shaner

Some body on here said you can hunt cow moose with like 3 pts in CO. What do y'all think the best state for cow moose or ewe goat. That would be really cool

Colorado for moose. Can do it with less than 3 points as a nonresident, and I always see loads of them there

Reactions: Guy
Correct me if I am wrong but don’t you have to apply for three years before you even have a point? So to get three point you actually apply for 6 years.

I would say generally, if you would really like to hunt moose someday,,apply for a cow tag.

Over the years I have managed to draw three cow moose tags. I viewed it as an ultimate meat hunt. Of the various animals I've taken, I like moose meat better than the rest.

Correct me if I am wrong but don’t you have to apply for three years before you even have a point? So to get three point you actually apply for 6 years.

For bull moose in Colorado, you have to apply for 3 years before you can start to have a chance, then build extra points after that. For cow moose, there are units where nonresidents have drawn them as their second choice, so no need to wait til you apply for 3 years. I'm assuming it's easy for nonresidents to draw the tags because they are expensive tags and only for a cow.

My dad and I got our moose in Utah this year. I agree that the meat is delicious. We ground a bunch of it into burger and wish now we had left more of it as roast because that stuff is going fast! I am thinking I will need to go the cow moose in Colorado route in the future to get some more of that meat....and just because hunting moose is awesome!

yup, nonres can draw Colo cow moose in two or three years at worst...And draw down their bank account a sizable chunk to pay the tag fee.

As a res I have drawn bull and then cow twice, will always put in. Seem to see more bulls when holding the cow tags so it is FUN. And meat is amazing.

yup, nonres can draw Colo cow moose in two or three years at worst...And draw down their bank account a sizable chunk to pay the tag fee.

As a res I have drawn bull and then cow twice, will always put in. Seem to see more bulls when holding the cow tags so it is FUN. And meat is amazing.
Are the densities of cow moose good enough to make it a high success hunt if you put forth a good effort and do your homework and scouting ahead of time?

for some areas yes. choose units with higher success, and aforementioned ease of draw with 1-2 points and should be fine if put forth reasonable effort.

My last cow here with archery tackle took me 7 days to get, it was a challenge in a more marginal area.

Im thinking about applying for this,i really am just a meat hunter and.My buddy and son will go along just for help but not hunt. Any and all advise appreciated from you who have done it or live there.
Thanks

What affect do you think the fires will have on moose displacement for this upcoming season? I have considered burning some moose points on a cow tag in the northern part of Colorado for Fall 2021. I just don't have a ton of hope moose odds are going to get any better with the increase in applicants and now wolves. Not sure it's worth building my points now to MAYBE get a bull tag at some point and I am guessing odds will get considerably worse once wolves are established. If my work schedule doesn't pan out for a first rifle elk hunt this year, I plan on trying to kill a cow moose in early October. And on the fire note. Are the tag holders who were eligible to turn tags in last year due to fire closure able to get those tags back for 2021? I don't want to try and hunt when there's 2020 turn back tag holders AND 2021 tag holders all in the field at the same time.

Actually thinking about just a Colorado point this year,I assume a last years burn will give most of the tags to last years holders.

What affect do you think the fires will have on moose displacement for this upcoming season? I have considered burning some moose points on a cow tag in the northern part of Colorado for Fall 2021. I just don't have a ton of hope moose odds are going to get any better with the increase in applicants and now wolves. Not sure it's worth building my points now to MAYBE get a bull tag at some point and I am guessing odds will get considerably worse once wolves are established. If my work schedule doesn't pan out for a first rifle elk hunt this year, I plan on trying to kill a cow moose in early October. And on the fire note. Are the tag holders who were eligible to turn tags in last year due to fire closure able to get those tags back for 2021? I don't want to try and hunt when there's 2020 turn back tag holders AND 2021 tag holders all in the field at the same time.
Fires improve moose habitat because aspen sprout quickly from underground suckers that are rarely killed by fire and willow sprout quickly also from underground.
Most moose browse is fire-adapted and sprouts quickly after wildfire.
Willow:
willow_postfire.jpg
One potential negative impact of wldlfire is downed tree stems/branches can make human travel more difficult,
especially packing a large moose over a tangle-fest of logs.

Actually thinking about just a Colorado point this year,I assume a last years burn will give most of the tags to last years holders.
That’s wise, all of the tags in the burn area got turned back in for reissue this year. The new quotas won’t be published till the CPW meeting in May. There will be some units that have zero tags this year.

Actually thinking about just a Colorado point this year, I assume a last years burn will give most of the tags to last years holders.
If you are a nonresident then sure do point only as you will draw a cow tag eventually and pretty easily at some point. But if you are a Colo resident already holding the basic 3 pref points you want to put in for a tag every year. Odds are so horrendous and getting vastly worse this year, that you should be in the draw every year if you want to draw. Just put in for a non burn interrupted hunt unit.

Interesting, I may start applying for this if it's not too difficult to draw. Like others above, I am also mainly a meat hunter. Never had moose before. Just looking at the "Similar Threads" below - one on WY Cow Moose guy has 7 points and one on MT Cow Moose guy had 20 years of applying. I wonder why CO is different taking about 1-2 points.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back